Chapter 1

I tried to maintain my sad smile as I looked out at the crowd. My family stood in the back, trying to keep their faces optimistic even though they could read the expression on my face. Aspen was looking out and smiling lovingly at Lucy, and she returned the look. I was slightly surprised, but I should have known. I didn't feel jealous at all, even though Maxon hated me now.

Celeste was still watching me, her face turned from encouraging to terrified when she turned away. I followed her eyes as guards wrapped red bands around they're heads and pulled out guns. I saw one walk behind Elise and before I could cry out, she was a lifeless heap on the floor. Chaos broke out in the Great Room. People screamed and ran, Maxon pulled Kriss down to avoid stray bullets. I turned to look at Aspen who was rushing from his post. He grabbed Kriss at Maxon's command, scooping her up in his arms and rushing her to the nearest safe room. I looked at the other guards as they rushed around, confused who was friend and who was foe.

Maxon was lying on the ground next to me. I couldn't help myself. I rushed over to him. A guard with a red band around his head saw the movement and his eyes flickered away from what he was doing for a second before he went back to shooting other guards.

"Maxon" I whispered urgently. He still had his head to the ground. " Maxon it's me, are you alright?"

I don't know what I expected from him after that, but what I didn't expect was Maxon to get up and kiss me with all he had. I melted into the touch. I knew I loved Maxon with all my heart, and I had told him so. I had ruined everything though. God why did I have to be so stupid! I should have told him long ago about me and Aspen, and he had been furious when her found out. Still he kept kissing me, and though the confusion of the rebel attack raged on, it was only a tiny pinprick of noise in my world. When he pulled away my eyes filled with tears.

"I'm so sorry America. I was about to ruin both our lives, but now I see that we may not have as much life to live as we thought." he clasped my hand. "America Singer I love you with everything that I am. America, my dear, please forgive me?" He eyes were filled with the deepest regret, but also love.

Inside my heart jumped for joy. He still loved me. He still loved me. I couldn't help smiling. Even though the great room was still in a nightmare, I was in a dream.I didn't hesitate for a second in my answer.

"I'm not your dear," I teased through my tears, "but of course I forgive you Maxon. I love you too." Then he wrapped me in his arms and we trembled in fear as one, though at least we had each other's love.

Maxon let go of me for a moment. "I'm going to check and see what's going on out there," he said.

They were the last words he ever said to me.

As soon as his head emerged from behind the table were we had been hiding I heard a gun click and a shot fired. Then loud, heavy footsteps thundered out of the room

Maxon fell to the ground beside me. The bullet had passed clean through his head. The blood pooled beneath him, his hair was soon soaked in it. He did not move, he didn't even twitch. His eyes stayed shut and as much as I wished they would flutter open, I knew with a horrifying twist of my stomach that they would not. My handsome, gentle, loving Maxon, was gone.

My throat clenched so tight no air could pass through it. I heard a loud wailing cry, then I realized it was me. Aspen finally came back to the Great Room. His eyes darted around and finally landed on me, then Maxon. He ran and scooped me up holding me close in an attempt to comfort me as he ran to to the nearest safe room.

I screamed and demanded he put me down. NOW. I had to get back to Maxon. he wasn't really dead. I could still save him. I struggled in Aspen's arms, but it's no use. He was too strong. The tears streaming from my eyes that had just a few minutes before been tears of love and joy were now tears of the deepest anguish I had ever felt. My Maxon. My love. It could not be real. Surely I would wake up in just a little bit, everything back to normal, my Maxon still alive.

Finally, Aspen arrived at a safe room. He set me down inside and looked at me. His eyes showed how much it pains him that I am so devastated. "I'm so sorry." he whispered under his heavy breath before closing the door and rushing to save more people, I'm sure.

The screams and cries were drowned out by the safe room doors. I was encased in a room of silence, all alone because Aspen had not wanted to give away the hiding place of the others. I was scared for everyone, but mostly I thought of Maxon. Why would anyone shoot such a gracious person; someone as close to perfect as it gets, Someone who was going to rule the country and demolish the castes because he cares about the people? Who could possibly be evil enough to do that? My thoughts swirled around in my head until I finally I fell into a restless, dreamless sleep.