Chapter 10

"For his great valor in saving the selected, his men, and her highness, Princess America, and at the loss of our former Captain, may he rest in peace, I hear by appoint Guard Aspen Leger to Captain of the Guard," Amberly told the audience of guards and officials the next day. Everyone was gathered in the Great Room for Aspen's appointment. His mom was in the front row right next to me, and she was beaming. Aspen's face was expressionless, but I could tell by the glimmer in his eye that this was his proudest moment.

I was beaming too. To think that Aspen had been a six just months ago and I had been a five, and now here we were, raised to high statuses because of the Selection. I never expected it to change me so much. It felt like so long ago that I had been that whiny girl who had resisted all thoughts of a Selection and wanted to marry Aspen. The weight of the tiara on my head was a constant reminder of these changes.

After Amberly shook Aspen's hand and then turned to me. As the Crown Princess it was my job to shake his hand too, so I approached the elevated platform and stepped up in my killer tall heels. I took one look at Aspen before I felt my foot wobble beneath me on the unstable heel, and then I started falling toward the stage. I would have landed flat on my face before the whole assembly, but because of his swift guard training Aspen was able to catch me in his arms before I crashed to the floor.

"You were supposed to shake my hand, not fall into my arms," he murmured in my ear before lifting me to my feet. My face was flushed deep red to my embarrassment.

"Sorry," I whispered back. "It's these heels. I've never worn any this high before."

In one quick motion, Aspen swept me up onto the platform to stand right next to me. One look at her told me I needed to practice wearing heels in the future.

"Congratulations Officer Leger," I said in my loudest projected voice to the crowds and stuck out my hand to shake his. "I will rest easy knowing that I will be safe from all dangers, from rebel forces to wobbly heels." To my relief many people in the audience chuckled. I released my hand from Aspen's though it was what I wanted to do least in the world. I told myself it was because it was the only thing keeping me from falling from my height in the heels, but my heart whispered otherwise.

After the ceremony there was a reception with cake and punch for Aspen and the other new palace guards brought in. While the party was meant to be a happy affair, I could feel the undertones of somber thoughts radiating from each person when they remembered why we needed a whole slew of replacement guards. I wove my way through the crowds plastering a smile on my lips and leaving my hand high so it was easier to wave politely at anyone who caught my gaze.

Aspen was standing with his friend Officer Avery and the newly reinstated Officer Woodwork. Carter's wife clung to his arm and flashed me a grin. I made my way over to my best friend at a faster pace. I had long ago ditched my heels for a pair of elegant flats, and it was much easier to navigate through the crowded room without them. The group laughed together before pausing when they noticed me approaching.

"Your Highness," said the three guards in unison. I rolled my eyes.

"And here I thought this was a party," I said, eyes dancing toward Aspen's. "I am I going to have to endure all this formality even today?"

"You're going to have to get used to being a princess America," Marlee giggled.

I let out a huge sigh. "It's all so strange. I don't regret being adopted by Amberly, but it's all so new and frightening," I told Marlee, but my then my eyes found Aspen's. "It's also very, very high,"

Everyone chuckled, and it felt for a moment like I was the old Lady America. She may have felt out of place at the palace, but she was surrounded by her friends.

And she was in love.

The thought slapped me in the face. It had come so easily.

 I had little time to think about my feelings though because the rebel alarms began blaring and even the guards surrounding me couldn't protect me from what happened next.