Chapter 8

"No May this is the hole for your head! Those are the arm holes!" I said giggling. My little sister squirmed in her dress and shifted around as Anne and Mary did their best to help her out of her tangled mess. Finally they pulled it over her head and it fluttered down to the floor. A beautiful dress fit for a princess. It was a lovely midnight blue one-shoulder gown that billowed out at the waist into layers of fabric, though not enough to make her look like a pageant queen, but just enough to make her look regal. Her hair had been curled and pinned back just perfectly so that it framed the sparkling silver tiara atop her head in fiery ringlets.

"Your turn Mer!" May exclaimed giggling and clapping her hands. Mary and Anne emerged from the closet with another blue gown, but this one was a lighter, Caribbean blue color. The skirt shimmered with a dusting of glitter, and I noticed by the length that it must have a train. It was breath taking on the hanger. I only hoped it looked nice on me.

My maids turned me away from the mirror until they had fixed the final touch, a small tiara with glittering aquamarine stones, into my hair. With their permission I spun around and saw a princess staring back at me in the mirror. She looked beautiful, confident, and her cheeks were flushed with happiness and laughter. I blinked a few times. Could this really be me? Would I ever be able to feel as beautiful and confident as that girl in the mirror does?

Maxon thought so, my inner self whispered. The corners of my mouth quirked upward in a sad, but still hopeful smile. I turned back to my maids and my sister. They smiled and pulled me into a big group hug. I loved them so much.

"You're radiant miss," said Mary. Tears had now begun to well up in my eyes, and Mary only smiled proudly at me.

"Go show them their new princesses," said Anne. She touched up my eyes with a cloth as quick as she could manage and then pushed me and May out of the room.

When we arrived outside I held out my arm to my sister, and she took it giggling. We stopped for a moment at Gerad's room and waited for him to emerged. When he did his tie was ruffled and his pants were wrinkled. I laughed and smoothed them out for him before taking his arm too. We walked down the stairs together, arm and arm, and arrived in the room for the Report with time to spare.

Make-up women and advisors swarmed Amberly as she gave last minute instructions. When she spotted us she waved and smiled. May and Gerad were whisked away by other officials and planners, and I was left with several other people. They asked me several questions about what I was planning on doing for the show, but I had little knowledge with which to answer them.

"Lady America, where should we place the lights for your shots and which camera angles do you prefer?" The camera assistant prodded.

I looked at the different cameras frantically trying to figure out what would be best. "Umm... Errr.."

"Camera two is the best angle of America's seat, but camera four is also acceptable. The lighting looks fine, well, except that one right there. Yes- move that one about four feet to the left. Much better," commanded a voice from behind me. I turned to see Celeste grinning at me with her winning model smile as she directed the cameramen.

"Thank you so much Celeste," I said, glad to be rid of that decision. She smiled and went to her seat in the audience. I spotted Marlee and Carter also back in those seats and I waved. They waved back cheerfully. I'm glad they can sit behind the camera now instead of being shamed in front of it. Kenna and James sat to their left with baby Astra, and it was good to see them too. They would soon be moving out to the house Maxon bought for my family. Amberly had offered to adopt Kenna as well, but she has never been one to really need parents, and with a family of her own now, she decided it would be best if she just moved out and relaxed in a home of her own without the responsibilities of a princess.

Amberly arrived and clasped my hand. Together we walked to the seats set up for us on the Report stage. May was on my left, and Gerad was on Amberly's right. We sat together, the new royal family, ready to introduce ourselves on our first Report.