Chapter 4

I woke up to the sound of the door opening. It was Kriss. I expected her to come for me, but instead she walked over to his wall. She looked upset. "It really was you, wasn't it. I was just the replacement." She turned around and looked me in the eyes. They were glistening with tears. "He was going to propose to me, but he never loved me. Why would he do that America? What did you do?"

She looked angry now. My eyes were tearing up, thinking that one of the last things I did with him was break his heart. "Kriss,I... I don't want to talk about it yet." I said. "Why not?" she practically exploded, "He's dead America! Dead! And I used to think that at least I had his heart, that I would have been his, that I would have changed the country, but he wanted you!"

I could tell Kriss didn't really hate me. She was just taking out her grief on me, and normally I could understand that, but today I just couldn't take it. "What? All I did was keep a secret boyfriend from him! YOU are a northern rebel and you never told him! At least I told him about Aspen!" I screamed. "Just get out Kriss, you're ruining Maxon's memory by being here!" "Fine, I wouldn't want to ruin your quality time with the GHOST of the man I loved!"

Kriss stormed out and I curled up in a ball on Maxon's bed. What am I still doing here? The selection is over. I should go home. The liar in me says that I'm here to support Amberly, but my heart knows that the real reason I'm here is because I can't go home. My mom and dad are both gone. I feel closer to Maxon here. I just can't go. I need to talk to Amberly about getting a more permanent residence. Maybe the house Maxon bought for my family. Yes, that's where I'll go.

I got up to leave, but I soon found myself staring at the picture wall again. Maxon loved his pictures. He would never just throw his photos away would he? He just didn't have enough wall space to display them all, but what if he did. An idea for Maxon's dedication dawned on me.

I started scrambling around the room, looking for the best spot to store a lifetime of photos. I went through desks and dressers, nightstands and wardrobes, but I just could not find them. I was starting to give up when I saw a pop of color in his closet. It was a hat box. There was another right next to it, and another, and another! There were 7 hatboxes total, and they were filled to the breaking point with pictures!

There were pictures of everything. The palace, the King and Queen, guards, cousins, himself, and downtown Angeles were all there. The last box was all the pictures of the selection. I wasn't in there, because all of my pictures were out on his wall, but all the other girls were. Kriss was in there a lot, and after our fight I really wanted to show them to her, but not right now. I was a girl on a mission and I needed to go see Amberly.

I looked at the clock on the wall, it's 6:30 a.m. Is Amberly awake? I walked out of the room. Guards were now stationed outside the room, they must have seen me come here last night. I walked down the hall to Amberly's room. She slept not far from Maxon, that probably helped when there were storms or midnight monsters when he was little.

I smiled at the idea of a little Maxon running into mom's room because he was afraid of the dark. Then I frowned because I'm never going to be able to have my own little Maxon run into my room becasue he's afraid of the dark. "No America, you can't cry again, you have a lot to do and you need to do it now." I reminded myself out loud.

"Talking to yourself again Mer? Are you sure you don't need a support group or something?" said Aspen as I rounded the corner. He's only half kidding as he stands guard at Amberly's door. "I'm fine Aspen." I said. "I just need a pep talk every once in a while." he nodded. "Is Amberly in?" I asked him. He respond by nodding and opening the door. "Don't you have to announce me or something?" I quizzed. "Nah, Queen Amberly said that you should always be welcomed into her room, no matter the time or day. Always." I smiled and thanked Aspen and headed in.

Amberly was sitting at her desk despite the hour staring at some charts and numbers. She looked really stressed, but when she saw me come in her face broke into a huge smile. "America! So good to see you. I've been meaning to talk to you about something..."