Chapter 5

So have I Amberly, and it's kind of urgent." I said. "Of course, you go first my dear." I cringed at the memory of Maxon's name for me. "I came to tell you that I figured out what to do for Maxon's memory." "Oh?" said Amberly. "Yes, I found all the pictures that he ever took and pasted to his wall but then took down. I want to make an outdoor memorial to him where all his pictures can be viewed." I said. I smiled at the idea. A tall glistening blue canopy covering a long wall from harmful weather. On the wall are all of Maxon's pictures, ordered, framed, and arranged by the finest artists so that Maxon's memory will live on forever. It was perfect. Maxon would have loved it.

Amberly smiled broadly. "Oh America! That will be perfect, especially since Kriss decided to leave and not present one..." "What?" I said. "Kriss left?" "Yes, actually she came in just a few minutes ago and requested to go home. She said she did not want to be here, especially since she knows she would never have been 'the one'. I felt bad for her, so I let her go as long as she promised to not say anything to the media. If the Southern rebels knew exactly how much damage they did to us, they would try a full scale rebellion, and Illea could be lost. Kriss understood that. She promised not to say anything and then she left. I guess the poor girl didn't even think about saying good bye to you..." said Amberly. "Oh she said good bye alright" I mumbled under my breath.

"Is there anything else you needed to talk to me about America?" asked Amberly. "Yes, actually, I've been thinking..." "Oh that can't be good" said Amberly with a smile. I smiled back as I said, "I really like living here in Angeles. It makes me feel closer to Maxon, and now I've lost both my parents, so I can't go back home..." I rambled. "Go on." Amberly said. "So I've been wondering if I might be able to stay in the house Maxon bought for my family, and live here in Angeles for a while."

Amberly's face broke out into the biggest smile. "Oh America! That's what I've been wanting to talk to you about!" she said. I looked at her, confused. "I love having you here. You and your siblings. You all made me feel so much better ever since Clarkson and Maxon... passed. I want you all to stay here in the castle permanently, and seeing as you have lost both your guardians, I would also like to legally adopt you and your younger siblings. Would you like that America?"

I stood there for a second, stunned. Here was the QUEEN OF ILLEA for crying out loud, and she was asking to legally become my mother. I thought back to the spa day in the Women's Room where Amberly said I could call her mom. Then I thought back to the day of the attack when Maxon died and I thought I had lost that forever.

I looked back at Amberly. She was beaming with excitement, almost radiant. I could tell that if I gave her the answer she wanted she would be happier than she had been in a long time. Then I look inside myself. I was definitely getting used to life as a one, and Amberly is a very good mother, she raised Maxon after all. The problem would then become that I would be the crown princess, and that means I would be queen one day. Was I ready for that? Could I do it?

I look back at Amberly. She began her life as a simple, factory-working, four, but now she is a dignified, graceful, and powerful queen. Surely she could lead me through this, and not just as my mother-in-law, but my real, actual mother. She would help me, and through that, I could help her. I could be there for her while she mourns the loss of her husband and son. I could be her rock, as her daughter, and she could be mine, as my mother. I loved Amberly, and I knew what I had to do.

"Yes"