thirteen

Harley's PØV

Looking off, both of us sat in silence, awaiting the others words as we sat on the roof of my mothers cheap station wagon.

"You cold..?" Tyler asked as he began slipping off his jacket one sleeve at a time.

I faintly smiled and nodded unintentionally. He handed it to me and my smile widened. I watched him as he bit his lip and raised an eyebrow like he always subtly did.

"So what's your story..?" I asked, trying as hard as I could to sound serious.

Tyler just sat there. Looking off the hill, deep in thought. I played with the hair tie around my wrist that I usually kept to hide what was behind it. Most people judged me, cutting was something only mental monsters would do. No normal person cut, and everyone who did couldn't take care of their own problems.. right?

Tyler. Tyler was different. He absolutely didn't care. At least, he didn't seem like it.

This brown eyed boy was the one person I felt comfortable around. I hated admitting it, but I was way more comfortable with him rather than my best friend.

He still sat there, staring.

I awaited his answer, pulling my stained blue hair hair up into a half-assed messy bun.

I warmed up my hands inside of his coat that laid in my lap. My sweater was left in the drivers seat of the car so I relied on his leather jacket for warmth.

"I used to be really big.." he whispered.

looking over at his hands, he played around with his plastic bracelets with wording little brands I couldn't make out.

"I was always referred to as the that weird fat kid no one knew. I know what you're thinking.. not that big of a deal, right? Not to me. Middle school was a living hell."

I looked back down at my beat up platform shoes, laying on top of the windshield under me avoiding eye contact.

"Most people didn't care to talk to me. No friends, no actual people to speak to. Sometimes I'd even get bullied behind school grounds.. But one day they hit my head, hard."

His eyes were focused on what looked before him.

"I lost my memory. I lost the ability to speak. I lost everything. But in reality, I didn't think I lost anything really. I mean I had nothing to live for, right? Well it seemed like it."

I placed my hand on his knee and waited for his approval.

"Depression set in. Nothing mattered to me anymore. Physical therapy just made me feel like an idiot, I had no genuine friends, my parents barely even came to visit me in the hospital. One day I just decided to stop eating. Forever. Stomach pains struck me after the first two days and on the third, I blacked out again."

I bit my lip, staring at his tear filled brown eyes.

"They sent me home. I couldn't deal with public school anymore, bullying was what got me into this mess in the first place is what my mother said. And she was right. Weekly visits to therapy were the only times I got out of the house. Bulimic. Suicidal. Mentally unstable.. labels. I wasn't Tyler anymore."

He waited a moment.

"This last year was my recovery. I tried to better myself. I knew I wasn't perfect and that's what I needed to realize. I didn't have to be.."

I looked out again. The lights showing the tenderness in the air. Tyler really delt with some tough feelings.

"What about you..?" he asked.