Date

A/N: http://bittersweettaste13.tumblr.com/ drew some lovely art for this chapter so I'm putting it in here.

-PLB

Saturday morning. Gamzee was serving today, a change from his regular barista job. Saturdays were when the tables were served, as a special. And that's when I noticed how thin he was. A skeletal form in a T-shirt and pajama pants.

"Would I be takin' your order anytime soon?" he drawled. I looked up with a start. Gamzee was standing very close. I bit my lip, looked down at the table, and ordered the usual.

"A small latte, please." I felt so small in his presence, and with me being a six foot Hispanic guy, that was sort of a big deal.

"Hey, hey, hey, chill, brother. It's okay. I keep seein' you starin' at me from the table. Can't talk to me or nothin'. It's the motherfuckin' picture of adorable." He laughed, sliding into the booth across from me.

I smiled up at him nervously. He had noticed my relentless staring? "Well, uh..." I stuttered. The feared speech impediment had disappeared the summer after highschool, but it still showed up at moments like these. And it was really embarrassing.

"Chill," he repeated, his gravelly drawl cracking as he smiled, "I never got your name."

"Tavros," I said softly, "Tavros Nitram."

"Well, Tavros Nitram," he said, grinning, "I have to get my leave on. Here." He pulled a napkin from the stack on the table and a pen from his pocket, and scribbled something down on it. He walked away without another word. I picked up the paper. "Maybe we could date," it read. Below that was a phone number and the Facebook account I knew.

I looked up, and he was already serving a dark-haired brother and sister across the shop. When I made eye contact, he grinned lazily, causing me to flush even darker.

I quickly finished my drink and got out of the store. I was going on a date! Alright, not an absolutely planned date. Sollux was going to give me shit for it, but I didn't care. I hummed as I lifted myself out of the store on the crutches. Normally, they were a pain in the ass, but today, I felt like I was floating.