Awkward

Saturday. I was dead nervous. But I supposed that was a good thing.

The booth in the back of the Starbucks practically had my backside imprinted on it. Sollux hadn't given me any advice. I was so screwed. I traced words onto the counter, things I might say but never would, to a variety of people. It was a habit I picked up when I was nervous in high school.

"How'd your paper go?"

I looked up to the sight of Gamzee in full out clown makeup. Grey around his mouth and eyes, and white on the rest of his face. Two dots of grey adorned the spots high on his cheekbones as well. I was shocked for a few seconds, then realised that the reason why he didn't wear it at work was probably because the customers reacted the same way. It suited him though, rounded out his face a little where there used to be all sharp angles.

"I don't know if waxing poetic works in every case," I said nervously, running a hand through my mohawk.

"Eh, that's why I quit my English major," he replied fluidly, waving a hand. "Not enough freedom. I gotta go where my heart takes me, you feel me?"

"You took an English major?"

"Talkin' about it don't feel right, not yet," he said, his gaze flicking downwards towards the table. "Right now my heart says that the bakery is the best place to go."

"Good idea," I said hastily. "I'm hungry."

"Trust me, until you've tasted my Karbrother's pie, you ain't seen nothin' yet."

So we left the shop to go eat "the best pie in the entire universe." And it was pretty good pie. But Gamzee's kiss when he dropped me off at my building at the end was so much sweeter.