chapter sixteen

Never lose sight of what truly matters.

________________________________

A snowflake loitered around the air, swishing from side to side. Its intricate design was well structured before it made contact with the snow covered floor. A fourteen year old boy lay still in his bed, his eyes deeply immersed in the book he held.

Specks of curiosity flickered in his expression as he flipped the page, he could just imagine the words playing out in his head. His fingers grasped the book firmly, not willing to let go.

The freckles on his cheekbones were covertly fading as the touch of maturity befell him. The room was his haven, a place designed specifically for him and him alone. The moon gem that illuminated his room gave him much ease, the light remained intact albeit the ice crystals.

The boy was so engrossed in the climax of the story that he didn't notice the woman that slipped in through his window. Her raven black locks cascaded down her back in a sleek stream. Her light feet swept across the coated floor as she snuck up on him, she tightened her fingers around the small dagger in her hands.

The boy's alacrity in reading stopped abrupt as the weight of the blade pressed against his throat. He didn't dare move, but gulped the guilt down his oesophagus as the woman shifted her face in view.

"What have I told you about reading?" She cocked her brow in question, her olive skin color made her look dangerously enchanting while her persona displayed calmness.

"No books in the night," he huffed, rolling his eyes in the process. "I'm sorry, Kad. You know I can't help it." A judicious smirk crept onto her face as she withdrew her weapon and ruffled his golden mop of strands.

"And what of your sword? I could have been an assassin for all you know," she folded her arms and tilted her head slightly to the side. The boy chewed his bottom lip slowly before he picked his book and began leaf through it.

"Niklaus," she said warningly.

"Kadisha," he mimicked her tone.

Kad looked at him disapprovingly, she disliked being called her full name. "Fine, fine. It's underneath my bed, probably wedged in between the books," Niklaus raised his hands in surrender.

Kad cast her gaze down and frowned bitterly at the snow, this wasn't the first time it had happened. Sometimes it would blistering hot in the room, at other times it would be windy as if a tornado lived in it.

"Anyways, what are you here for?" Niklaus asked as he got out off bed and ambled to the nearest shelf. His tall frame almost matched Kad's, but she was taller by just an inch or two.

Kad knew that one day the boy before her will be no longer a child but a man, and when that time came she needed his full trust to commence with the queen's plan. The snowflakes had stopped falling but the present frosty chill swirled around every corner of the room.

"Can't I visit a friend?" She flannelly retorted, hoping that he would buy it. But Niklaus was too intelligent for excuses, a chuckle emitted from him. The very idea of having a friend brought sheer hysterics.

"You and I both know that you don't consider yourself my friend," he alleged casually as he slotted the book into the shelf. "No one does."

Kad felt a tinge of guilt tug on her insides, he was right. As always. Everyone in the kingdom had heard of Niklaus, they knew and feared his abilities. Sometimes Kad would often find it silly, that the cities full of mighty guardians were afraid of the lanky being that stood before her.

But she would often be reminded the reason for their fear, especially when Niklaus turned livid. At that extent not even Amorra herself could calm him down, at that extent the fear would rush into Kad again.

"But I do admire your bravery, stepping into this hell hole takes guts," Niklaus incredulously laughed, his eyes wandered all over the alcoves in his room. Each one congested with books, most of which he had read out of tedious boredom.

"What are you really here for?"

"The queen wishes to have breakfast with you at dawn," her voice was imbued with austerity. Kad looked down at her fingers as she slowly wet her lips with a flick of the tongue. She had to stuff her hands into her pocket to keep them from fidgeting.

"If she insists," came the arid reply.

"Niklaus," Kad uttered his name as softly as she could. He looked up, a jaunty smile plastered onto his face. "Clean this up," she motioned to the clumps of snow around her.

He winked, "Will do, Kadisha."

Kad took a hesitant step back, then suddenly an echoing sound filled her ears. Someone had blown the sacred horn, the sound waves graced the skies as it alerted every guardian in the kingdom. She froze on the spot, Niklaus paused briefly to inquisitively look at her.

"What was that?"

A loquacious sound of bustling began to thrive inside the palace, the limpid image of what was to come tipped courage into Kad as she ran out. A bevy of guardians were already marching to the brink of the palace. Each one taking off with dashing speed.

"Kad, wait!" Niklaus called from the entrance of his room. She turned to greet his hopeful gaze. "I can help."

"Stay here," she instructed as her wings sprouted out of her back.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A/N: new characters... Might be a lot to digest but hey, the more the merrier.