Chapter 8

Waking up the next morning was not fun. I knew I had to face the music so to speak. My mom told me that Jasper tucked me in to bed before heading home, wanting to be with his parents after what happened. 

      Today the body count was announced, 12 poor victims were taken by that fire and we still had no idea as to how it started. 12 thats how many people might wake up on their 18th birthday and hear nothing, just silence where there was supposed to be the thoughts of their soul mate, the one made for them to live with forever. 12 families that would never see their son or daughter again. 

      I decided I didn't want to do anything today, just lounge around the house and be lazy for once. I stayed in my pajamas and just sat in front of the TV watching whatever show came on. It helped to distract me from thinking of all the people in the building.

     I didn't know any of them personally, since they weren't in my classes. But Elijah had a good friend named Jared who passed away and he was torn up. Jared was a fairly nice kid and wasn't like the other kids on the football team, he wasn't afraid to show emotion and actually found his mate a few months prior to school starting up.

   I had just got done watching a movie and checked the time, 3:00. I decided to see if Elijah was ok, he hadn't come out of his room all day and it was starting to worry me. I climbed the stairs and knocked on the door. All I heard was a faint mumbled from the other side but that was all I needed. 

    I walked in and the usual strong, no emotions Elijah that most of the school knows, was nowhere to be found. I saw my brother curled up with matted up hair and red puffy eyes. The last time I saw him like this was when we were 9 right after our grandmother passed away,at the time I was the only person he would talk to.

      "You doing ok,twinsy?" I said using the nickname that we gave each other when we were 4. I walked over to where he was and sat down next to him giving him a small hug. That triggered something in him and he just collapsed crying in my arms. 

     "He's gone, we all had plans to hang out with him and now he is just gone." He said in between crying. I didn't stop him or interrupt him at all. He needed someone to just be there for him right now and I would be the worst sister ever if I just let him sit up here and suffer. 

    I started singing to him since it usually calms him down. It was an old song that my grandmother taught me and Elijah but since Elijah can't sing he quickly forgot it. He seemed to calm down just a bit when he noticed the old song. 

        After a good hour and a half of just him crying and me singing to him he finally fell asleep. I tucked him in and cleaned up his room. You may think it is a bit odd that I just spent an hour and a half singing to my 17 year old brother to calm him down, but that is the kind of bond we have had since we were little. 

      Him crying doesn't occur very often though because he builds up this tough exterior at school, and because all of his emotions have nowhere to go one thing that pushes him will make him cry for an entire day nearly but then he won't cry for 6 months. 

     I stepped out of the room and closed the door quietly making sure not to wake him. He was supposed to have the happiest day of his life in three days. He is supposed to hear his mates thoughts in three days but I didn't think he was in any shape to have that happen. 

       Why did this all have to happen right now? Couldn't it have just waited or not happened at all? I sent a silent prayer to god that what happened last time won't happen again. Elijah refused to eat for months after grandma passed away and ended up getting sent to the hospital for months on end and neither of us enjoyed being separated. 

     I walked down the stairs and resumed my spot in front of the couch. I could hear my phone going off upstairs but I honestly just didn't want to talk to anyone really, not even Jasper well not at the moment. My brother was hurting over the loss of a friend and possibly his mate since he doesn't know who it is yet but I was completely unaffected for the most part.

       Starting Monday we would all be able to go meet at some place in the middle of nowhere that has been fixed to fit all of the students who need to be able to see their friends from school. I started thinking about how Elijah and I both expected this year to turn out.

     He wanted nothing more than to get accepted into his first choice school and end up studying Business, he honestly didn't really want a mate for fear of disappointing them. He doesn't think he is good enough at many things, and unless you lived with him you would never know that. 

     While I planned on getting into a local college for the arts with Drama in mind and moving on to become an actress. I was looking forward to getting my mate and spending the year getting to know them, with hopefully minimal drama. We can see how that turned out.

       I came out of my thoughts to the sound of my phone ringing upstairs. I decided to check since it I had been ignoring it all day and I didn't want to worry any of my friends, especially after what just happened. I got texts from a few friends asking if I was ok and a few texts from Jasper he seemed to be really worried.  I texted my friends a small paragraph saying I was fine and I will talk to them when I get my feelings fully sorted before I called Jasper.He picked up on the third ring and the relief in his voice made me smile a bit. 

"Andrea thank god you are ok." He said and let out a huge breath of air.

"I'm fine just a bit shaken up that all." I responded. "It's a lot to deal with, everything that I have known for 4 years is gone, and Elijah lost a good friend of his so he isn't talking much which is just making it all worse because he is the talkative one out of the two of us..." I continued rambling for a few more minutes before I realized what I was doing. "Sorry I don't mean to talk your ear off, just a lot has happened." I said getting a bit teary eyed but I quickly wiped the tears away. 

     "I know and you rambling is fine babe, it is actually kind of adorable if you ask me." He replied and I smiled at his words, it was good to know that I had someone who will always be there for me no matter what I was going through. I frowned when I thought of Elijah maybe not having his mate because of that fire. I was suddenly hit with a wall of exhaustion. I guess he opened the link because the next thing I heard was, "Go to bed babe you are tired, both physically and emotionally."

"Ok but I will call you right when I wake up I promise." I said yawning. 

"No need to do that princess, just get some sleep and call me when you can tomorrow." He replied with a slight yawn. "Sweet dreams."

"Sweet dreams Jas." With that we hung up and I checked the time, It was 6 p.m so I decided to go get something to eat. I prepared some Chicken that we had left-over and headed upstairs. I knocked lightly on Elijah's door and heard soft crying coming from inside. I sighed and entered setting down his food down on his bedside table. 

      "I know you are upset but you have to eat Eli, we can't have what happened last time." He simply nodded and grabbed his plate. We ate together in silence and when he was done I picked up the dishes and sent him away to shower. I walked downstairs and put the dishes in the dishwasher and headed to take my own short shower.

    When I got out I got dressed in my pajamas before heading across the hall to check on Elijah, he was dead asleep and had wrapped himself around a pillow of his. I smiled at the sight before heading back to my room and snuggling into my bed before drifting off to sleep. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As always I apologize for any mistakes made during the chapter. 

I hope you guys enjoyed the story and I hope you are prepared for new characters to come. 

Have A Great Day,

Lizzy.