1

I'd always know I was different, I'd known since the first time I'd had a crush. All of my friends wanted to get our young student teachers eye but me, I'd done the most I could to impress my piano tutor.

His name was Ryan and he was very pretty. I remember that was the only word my mind could think of, after all I was only nine. Ryan was thoughtful, caring and very patient with me.

"Okay Basilton, now try it again." He would smile and watch as my tiny fingers went over the keys. I would smile as much as I could while my cheeks went warm. He was probably 21 and I couldn't fathom the thought of why I went red every time I saw him or why, when he smiled and praised me I could cry. Now I know its because a cute boy talked to me and I swooned farther than I was able to handle.

When I started at Watford it was just another stepping stone into the life my father had planned. Magicks school, Uni and a magically career doing research or managing a part of this world like my father. I never expected to find something (someone) to look forward to at Watford besides the classes.

My mother insisted on extra study time even at the young age of 5. Before she died we studied Latin together and she read me stories from famous authors before bed. It had been several years now and not a day went by when I didn't think of her.