The Internship.

"My name is Natalie. I have a great skill set-- like in cinematography and um," I stuttered over the words, looking into the three faces that stared blankly back at me.

The man on the end to the left, a studio executive, had salt and pepper black hair. He wore a suit, real ray ban aviators. He pretty much looked like a mid-40s-trying-to-look-young-bad-ass. I could faintly see his eyes, which were to no surprised, glazed over. He also wore a black suit which totally did not correspond with the whole trying to look bad-ass with my super cool, expensive glasses thing.

Then the lady in the middle, the internship adviser, pretending-to-be-sweet woman. She reminded me somewhat of Mia Michaels, a dance choreographer, if you didn't know that already. She spoke with this sweet expression, which didn't fool anyone. See unlike Mia Michaels, this woman came off kind of like a bitch. I mean, it's like she tried not to, but didn't succeed very well at it.

Anyway, the last guy on the right was the writer that would be your mentor if you could even attempt to catch his attention. This guy; late 30s, dressed nice, easy on the eyes, perfect white teeth, you know typical pretty-boy in Los Angeles, co-wrote Horrible BossesCloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2. Acted in numerous things like Freaks and GeeksWaiting, etc. He's like the type of guy in your high school who's not the popular jock, but for the geeks is like a total god, and everyone wants to be his friend, but it's too intimidating to even talk to him 'cause on the surface, there's literally no flaws.

Or so I thought, there's a catsup stain on his white button up.

He never spoke-- just vigorously scribbled notes on a page. Because of that, he was the only reasonable one.

The Mia Michaels look-a-like spoke up, "Your resume doesn't have much. No college. No job. Why do you think we should choose you for the internship?"

"I can also write. I know proper screenplay format and I got 100% in my AP English classes both Junior and Senior year. I was also top of my class in the entire film department." I tried to be as confident as possible.

"You're like what? 15? 16?" The 40-year-old-wannabe-bad-ass said, avoiding eye contact.

"18 actually." It came out way more sassy than it was supposed to be. But they didn't even pay attention to what I said anyway.

"Maybe a background girl in a Justin Bieber music video would best fit your qualifications." The woman said unsympathetically, as she flipped through her stack of papers.

"I'm 18, so.." I mumbled to myself.

"I think Disney's Shake it Up is looking for background." The salt and pepper shaker laughed pompously at his, not so funny, remark.

I sighed heavily. "Still 18." wide eye-ing the ceiling. My eyes met the nice writer on the left, John Francis Daley. He wore this big goofy grin as he shrugged his shoulders. Then shook his head and chuckled to himself.

They didn't even verbally excuse me. It was more like bitch-mcgee was the end all be all and gave me this weird 'shoo' wave.

"Well, thanks for your undivided attention and I'm sorry for wasting your precious time." Sarcastic or not, it didn't matter now.

I glanced at John and he gave me a small thumbs up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Britt was like an older sister to me. Our parents have known each other for over 20 years. They all work in the business. Her dad is a pretty well known cinematographer and her mom is a casting director. Both my parents are producers. my dad used to be a writer/director, but gave that up a couple years ago. My mom was an art director. You know, set design, make-up, whatever.

Now, you'd think I'd be offered jobs from someone because of the status of my parents, but my parents actually are trying to shelter me from the business. It being a "cold-hearted" and "mean" place to be. They pretty much never actually sheltered me until I told my 8th grade teacher about how I wanted to do something in the business. At the time I wasn't exactly aware of all of the job titles, so I kind of clung to writer. Then, in high school I took writing classes, film classes, etc. I developed my real passion for writing. I never went to premiers, parties, met people, things like that. My parents finally sat me down two years ago and told me that if I wanted to be in the business they won't help. I have to do everything on my own, like they both did. That even includes film school. So that's primarily why I want this PAID internship. Plus it's through Paramount Studios, so.. that helps. A lot.

Back to Britt. She's great, 23, funny, friendly, charismatic. She's also an actress. She was in this movie called Triple Dog. She's also going to be in this new movie. That's what the internship is for. To walk around with John, the writer of the film Britt was in, and shadow him.

"So how'd it go?" Britt asked as we sat on the couch, eating Chinese food. We shared a two bedroom apartment in Westwood.

I let out a snarky laugh. "You mean the interview? or the gallon ice cream container I ate after? 'Cause I can tell you right now neither went very well."

She giggled. "What makes you think that?"

"Well I don't know. Between what little resume I had and the too young for Justin Bieber, try Disney background jokes, I can't quite figure out what made me bomb it." Sarcastic should be my middle name.

She busted out in this hiccuping-hyena laugh. "Too young for Justin Bieber! Go to Disney!"

"Look who's talking, Miss can only get teenage roles when you're a 23 year old woman."

"Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. No, but seriously. You don't think you got it?" 

"Nope."

A couple minutes went by. She could sense the embarrassment rising in me.

"Well, hey, how about you come with me to set tomorrow? I get to find out who's playing Dave."

"Oh yeah? I don't know. I should probably be job hunting or something."

"One day. That's all you need."

"One day of anyone who's religous to pray for me. That's what I need."

I got up and threw out my container in the kitchen trash. I looked out the window and sighed.

Suddenly, my phone rang. Restricted.

I answered. It was John.

I got it.

I got the internship.

I walked out into the living room.

"On second thought..." I had a huge smile plastering my face.