Chapter 03

Chapter Three

Eshe held his daughter's hand as they wandered up and down the dress isles of the children's clothing store. It was Alice's favorite because it always had exciting new and colorful outfits, which Eshe fully supported, but their was a constant screaming of other children running around the store that struck Eshe with the worst headache of all times. He hated the sight of defeated mothers chasing their children trying to get them to behave in public.

Alice had gone through an awful phase like that when she was 7, ironically resulting in Eshe meeting Jerome but she had settled from it within the year. He never figured out what had caused her to be so angry that year or what had caused the sudden change to her normal peaceful self. Eshe tried not to question his daughter personality and just to stay thankful. She wasn't like many girls her age.

Alice had taken a interest in plants from the age she could walk, Eshe could remember her always plucking random flowers and attempting to replant them. When Alice was five he had bought her a pot to plant a small dandelion in, she had randomly selected it from his mothers front yard and it grew in the pot. He had been amazed that it managed to grow but even more amazed at Alice's natural ability to take care of the plant at five years old.

She had grown and so had her knowledge of gardening, so much so that it expanded past gardening to botany. She had began experimenting with cross breeding flowers with the help of his mother, who admittingly did little more than provide three small green boxes and a small collection of college level botany books. The boxes sat on a long ledge inside of Alice's bedroom window on certain months, then outside on a similar ledge in others, Alice had explained to her mother many times how and when she knew to move them but Eshe could never remember, he simply waited for Alice to tell him so.

"Mom, what about this dress?" Alice stopped suddenly puling a simply blue dress from the rack, it resembled an almost sailor style in that it was off the shoulders and had a white trim at the top and bottom. Alice let go of her moms hand to completely pull the dress from the rack, looking inside the tag she smiled as she realized it was in fact her size. "It says its my size."

"Okay, you can try it on but pick out another one just for a back up." Eshe told her, he sighed wondering why Alice had suddenly asked if she could get some new dresses. He had asked her there was something special going on at school but Alice had said that there was no special reasons for the dresses she just wanted new ones. Eshe sensed that there was more to it but he didn't bother to ask her, it was obvious she didn't want to talk about it.

Eshe scanned the racks of dresses half looking for a dress Alice might like half contemplating what it could possibly be for. His mind suddenly shot back to the conversation he had just the other day with Lauren. He considered the possibility that she had said something to Alice but Eshe couldn't think of a time when she would have been able to speak to Alice without him being nearby or at least knowing about it. Plus Eshe severely doubted Lauren would go behind his back about something so serious.

"Mom? Mom?" Alice asked, her voice sounding slightly annoyed as she tugged on his hand. He turned to her embarrassed he had obviously been to deep in thought to notice that his daughter had been talking to him. She was holding a hoodie dress with rainbows and unicorns on it. "I said I like this dress, it's my size too."

"Okay." Eshe nodded taking the dress from her, he draped it over his arm along with the other dress for her to try on when she was done looking. She looked at the dress rack hesitantly for a few seconds then back at him obviously wanting to ask if she could get more than two but not wanting to actually say anything. He smiled at her, he always thought it was cute how she was considerate without knowing it."You can get another few, I don't mind Alice."

She nodded, happily turning back to the dress racks, she flipped through a few dresses before her smile fell. Looking up at her mother as she chewed on her lip nervously she opened her mouth to ask a question but shook her head for Eshe to disregard her. Eshe arched her eyebrow, confused but his daughter just stared at her. They stood there awkwardly for more than a few minutes before Eshe finally stooped down, carefully balancing himself in a squat so he was eye to eye with Alice.

"Alice, you know you can talk to me about anything." They stared at one another, Alice's green eyes piercing his sandstone ones. Her face so serious it struck him with strong memories he'd rather pretend he didn't have. In fact her face was so serious, it was unlike any face he'd every seen her make. He only knew one person who made a face like that. He could feel tears building behind his eyes as Alice continued to stare at him.

Lauren had done it, she had told his secret to the one person, he'd meant to keep it from the most. Now was the day he had been fearing since the day Alice was born. It stung harder than he thought it would but he refused to let himself cry not til Alice had said her piece, he owed her that and so much more. He didn't have the right to hide from her anymore. She wasn't subtle she was brutal her words hit him hard.

"I know you know about my dad."