thirty six

Luke had tears in his eyes as he looked out the window. He saw Ashton exiting his house with Luke's bag in his hand, and walked over to the car the blonde was seated in.

Ashton met Luke's eyes through the glass and sighed before walking around the car and got inside. He threw Luke's bag to the backseat before finally turning to look at the blonde, this time nothing being between them.

"Don't look so sad" Ashton mumbled and pursed his lips before turning to the steering wheel.

"It's hard not to look sad when you're actually sad" Luke spoke quietly, making Ashton sigh again.

"This is not the end, Luke, it's far from it. I don't understand why you're acting like it is though"

"Because it feels like you're leaving me. It feels like you're giving up on us" Luke whispered and Ashton shut his eyes closed and gripped the steering wheel tightly.

"I told you I'd marry you, how can that mean that I'm giving up on us?" Ashton asked and clenched his jaw as he leaned his head back against the headrest.

"I know," Luke mumbled and looked down at his lap as he fiddled with his fingers, "I just- I can't marry you Ashton, I'm 16"

"I know that, angel. I'm just telling you that I'm yours. And I will be, legally, one day that is" Ashton mumbled before starting the car and drove away. Luke lifted his head and looked out of the window again, letting his eyes follow the silhouette of the forest.

"I'm not leaving you, Luke. I'm just letting you live your life, without me controlling your every fucking move" Ashton spoke and ran a hand through his hair.

"But I don't want that-"

"Luke, please," Ashton snapped and clenched his jaw, "You're acting like I want this when I obviously fucking don't. Does it look like I want this?"

"No," Luke whispered and pouted down at his lap, "But you're the one acting up on it"

"I'm not-" Ashton snapped harshly but shut his mouth and bit down on his tongue when knowing snapping at Luke would only make the situation worse.

"I'm just thinking about what's best for you. I told you I'd keep you safe, so why are you fighting me on this?" Ashton asked and waited patiently for the young blonde to speak.

"Because I'm scared," Luke whispered out, making Ashton tighten his hold around the wheel, "The last time you left me I got hurt. I don't want to be in pain again"

Ashton didn't say anything because he had no words in mind. His mind was blank because there was nothing he could do to make this better. He could either leave Luke on his own and make the boy scared for his life, or he could keep him by his side and get all the shit Michael said.

Ashton couldn't fucking win, but he also refused to lose.

"Without me you'll be less of a target. I'm the main target in all of this shit, and as long as you surround yourself with people who aren't targets in this fight, you'll be okay" he spoke after a while of quietly driving.

"I don't want to be a target. I don't want you to be a target," Luke said and finally glanced up to look at Ashton, "I want us to be normal and not have to watch our every steps. I want you to love me without regretting it"

Ashton clenched his jaw and shook his head before turning to the side of the road and stopped the car. He turned it off, letting silence spread around both of them, before he sighed loudly and pressed his back against his seat.