Chapter 5

Never in her life did she think she would find herself lost with a stranger on her back, while traveling with a group of men who seemed to take LARPing to a whole other level. But here she was. She let out a sigh as she readjusted the unconscious man on her back. Her pace had slowed down a while back and now was bringing up the rear of the group. The only thing at this point keeping her going was quietly humming to herself and the determination to not piss off the leader any more than she already had.

It still came as a shock to her at her outburst and she could only be thankful that the dark haired leader hadn't said anything or worse, left her behind with no horse and this unconscious prick.

Wow! I'm really cranky. Okay Maya, breath. Just keep walking and not talking. Cranky Maya always equals Maya with no filter.

She cringed remembering how many times she had said things that she immediately regretted because she was tired. Shaking of the thought, she continued her humming.

By midday Maya's legs burned with each step and her back ached. A nudge at her hand had her turn to the pony she led.

Great. Even the pony's telling me to hurry up. This is all Ander's fault. He just had to get worse. He probably did this on purpose to get back at me and is really fine but just sleeping...Please wake up Anders. Don't leave me here with the men by myself.

A frown formed on her face and without thinking she leaned her face against his limp head. Despite her anger towards the man, he was her only connection to her home. She couldn't lose that connection. Not now.

So lost in thought, Maya was completely oblivious to dip in the path until it was too late. Losing her footing, she fell face first into the ground. Even with the grass, it still hurt and more so with the extra load. A moan escaped her lips and the sound of laughter didn't go unnoticed, but Maya chose to ignore it. Slowly moving Ander's off her, she got to her hands and knees. She could tell that overall she was fine aside from a few bruises and a bruised ego.

"You alright there, lass?"

Lifting her gaze, she saw a man with a long beard and mustache with a funny hat laughing as he made his way over to her on his pony. She narrowed her eyes at him as she stood.

"Fine."

"Need a hand?" He asked dismounting and walking over to her.

Cocking a brow at him, she was ready to snap at him when he gave a smile. Despite laughing earlier, he did seem sincere in his offer. She was half tempted to take it when she remembered her promise. Biting the inside of her cheek, she released a deep breath.

"No. I'm fine. Thank you."

The man frowned and took a quick glance behind him before nodding.

"Ah. Right. Well seeing as how comfortable you are around the pony, I don't have to tell you there's other ways of getting on them." The man gave Maya a wink and a smile as he shifted his eyes in the direction of a large rock that lay planted in the ground off the side of the road.

Confusion shifted to understanding and before she could say thank you, the man with the funny had turned his horse around. She bit her lip. While she promised not to get assistance from his men, there was no mention of getting advice. And technically she didn't ask, he offered it before she could protest.

Shifting her gaze to the unconscious Anders still laying on his back and the rock, she let out a sigh. She grabbed the pony's reins and led it to stand next to the rock. The rock stood just at the pony's knees. While she wished it were higher, it would do. At the very least she would be able to get Anders on it's back.