Chapter 8

The rain had continued on for what seemed like hours and there were no signs that it was going to stop anytime soon. Rain wasn't unusual in Auckland, but he had to admit this was getting ridiculous, and it seemed like his feelings were mutual amongst some of the other men.

"Mister Gandalf? Can't you do something about this deluge?"

"It is raining, Master Dwarf! And it will continue to rain until the rain is done!"

Anders rolled his eyes, remembering his brother's implying on multiple occasions that he was a dwarf because he was the shortest. For fuck's sake.

"Of course they would be dwarves." He muttered under his breath.

A jerk from the body before him broke him from his brooding. Looking down, a smirk pulled at his lips as he watched Maya's head slowly fall forward. She shot up again, shaking her head and taking in a deep breath.

Without a word, he reached around her and pulled on the reins to stop the pony before he dismounted.

"What are you doing?" She asked more alert now than she was a moment ago.

"We're switching places. Get off." He responded holding out his hand to support her.

"What? Why do we need to -"

"Don't argue with me. Just get off the horse." His tone came out harsher than he intended, but seemed to work as he watched her dismount without arguing.

As quick as he could, he mounted the pony and held out a hand to help his riding companion up. Once he was sure she was settled in, he reached back and wrapped her arms around his waist.

"What are you doing?" She said with annoyance.

"I'm making sure you don't fall when you decide to doze off again." He replied as the pony started walking again.

"Oh."

"Yea, oh. Now get some sleep. You look like shit."

The words came out before he had a chance to really think about them, and silently he braced himself for another one of her fits, but when he felt her lean against him with a small chuckle, he couldn't help smirking.

Within minutes, she fell asleep, her arms relaxed and he was forced to hold on to them to make sure she didn't fall off the pony.

"You only look out for yourself!"

"You're suck a dick!"

A small chuckle rose from Anders as he thought of his brothers. Oh if they could see him now. They would probably still call him a dick, but no one could say he hadn't helped anyone anymore.

~~

"No one cares."

"Stop fighting it."

"No!" She gasped as her eyes shot open and her arms tightened around someone drawing a groan from them.

"Maya! It was just a dream. Let go."

Taking in the sway of the horse, the trees of the forest and finally looking at the back of the head of a blond man, Maya quickly back as best she could with his hands still gripping her own.

"Sorry." She muttered.

"Remind me, next time you're gonna fall asleep when we're riding, you sit in the front."

She couldn't help rolling her eyes at the comment as she adjusted herself back to put a bit more space between her and Ander. Unfortunately she couldn't do much as he still held on to her hands.