ten.

ETERNAL.
010. | ❛ was that so hard?

Caroline searched for an outfit that showed off more than she was willing to before

Caroline searched for an outfit that showed off more than she was willing to before. She needed something more provocative definitely not even caring about what the others thought of her. That was one of the joys that switching the humanity switch brought. Caroline didn't care and many see that as a pro, the con is when she does turn it back all the guilty starts rushing in making the emotion unbearable.

Strutting out of her room, Caroline watched as Natasha was being attended to by Clint and Tony. The old Caroline would be worried that she was injured but the new one could care less about what happened. Whatever gut feeling she had, she instantly pushed it down. The stab wound wasn't herself and Natasha knew that, she knew that Phil's death would be hard since he always kept her in control. Without that support, it would've been easier for Caroline to relapse but flipping the switch was worse.

"Where are you going?" Steve asked with Caroline stopping and spinning to show the new version of herself. It was certainly one that Steve didn't recognize and didn't want to pressure any longer knowing that it would result in disastrous consequences.

"I don't need any explain myself to you," Caroline hissed showing the dark version that swallowed the gentle version and not letting her see the light.

"I think we all need any explanation. Care, this isn't you." Tony said trying to guilt Caroline but only receiving a laugh. Once it ceased Caroline fixed her hair before yawning at the where the conversation was going, "Are we done?"

"We are not done. Loki is free and we need to get the tesserct back. Not to mention you aren't yourself."

"Cap, you aren't quite caught up but she turned off her humanity. She doesn't care, she's the one we should be worrying about."

"You shouldn't worry about me. I'll hardly be a problem." Caroline said straightforward with a sly smirk and when she started walking away Steve grabbed her hand,"Care, this isn't you. I'm here. Please just turn it on." He cupped her face hoping that the simple notion of love could bring her back. Caroline nestled her face into his hand and giving a convincing look before switching gears. She speed to a nearby agent and ripped his pumping heart out, resulting in the floor being covered in blood stains. The Avengers were shocked to say the least but the one that had his jaw open was Steve. To see that the woman he loved could be cruel and heartless instead of the innocent and strong woman she once knew.

Caroline twisted the heart around in her hand before it casually made its descend to the floor," If anyone tries to turn in my humanity, I'll become your worst nightmare."

_________________

AVENGERS

"That's not her, I refuse to believe it. Caroline wouldn't do something like this." Steve argued with nobody giving him the benefit of the doubt.

"Steve, you don't know her like we do. You saw her beauty not the iron underneath. She doesn't want to feel anything, she just lost the most important person in her life, the one that helped her change and the one that gave her control. The pain is too much for her to bear. She's a vampire, her feelings are amplified, they're more intense than our feelings. This was a thing that we all feared, why do you think that we always tried to keep her grounded to her humanity? Her humanity is the thing that makes Caroline herself. The only way she can turn it on is something that affects her in a big way. "

"I say that we freeze Cap again and then unfreeze him then our problem is solved. " Tony joked and not receiving a single giggle from the rest.

"We have to get her back. With Loki, we have to work fast to turn her humanity back on. So do we know where is she?"

Steve turned towards Bruce who had been searching the cameras, hoping that she would be caught. He ran Caroline's image all over town before a noise was heard and a great big red point on the map,
"A warehouse in Brooklyn. Apparently it's a rave."

"Great. What's a rave?" Steve innocently said with neither of the members bringing themselves to explain something like that to a man who's been gone.

______________

WAREHOUSE

Caroline certainly was having a good time, the closeness of another person and the music or the dancing. Dancing. Her mind started wandering and remember that Steve owed her a dance. A dance at the Stork Club which no longer stood. She quickly pushed those thoughts away knowing that having a tiny bit of emotion could pave an entry for her friends to turn it back on.

Caroline made her way to the bar and order more alcohol and much like Steve, it was hard for Caroline to get drunk. Surely that Thor had some liquor that could actually get her wasted but after this Caroline thought that they would never let her out of their sight.

She was drinking when a guy came and sat next to her, Steve.
"You know you should smile more."

Caroline said at Steve,"You're hot" The comment caused Steve to blush but he stopped when he realized that she wasn't her. Steve knew what he had to do to stand a chance to get Caroline to turn her emotions back on.

"I love you Caroline." Steve said admitting it for the first time out loud. "I don't know when I felt it, but I do, and it scared me, but here we are."

Caroline started laughing in amusement,"Wow! See? That wasn't so hard, was it? Only took a good 70 years, me to turn into a vampire, my sister to go missing, a whole eternity to go by, you getting unfrozen, me to flip my humanity off, but you finally spit it out!" She said angered like.

"That's good. Anger. That means you want to feel." Steve took closer steps to Caroline

"No, Steve. You know what? It just means that I'm pissed, so leave me alone." She turned away to walk away from him but Steve stops her.
"Hey, hey." He said pulling her towards him."Let it in. It will hurt, and you'll want to die, but I will be here. I will help you through this. But you have to give me a chance." He reaches out and cups her face in his hands "Please." Caroline stares at him as if she's considering this for a moment. "Come back"
She closes her eyes and leans her face into his hand for a second, but then quickly naps out of it and glares at him sadistically.

"You shouldn't have done that." Caroline said coldly and as she walked away she felt a sharp pain in her neck. She turned away to see Steve with a needle in her neck, vervain. It was starting to affect her and she started feeling weak and fell into Steve's arms. Before she passed out she could see Steve mouth," I'm sorry"