eight.

ETERNAL.
008. | ❛ romeo and juilet.

FLASHBACK

FLASHBACK

"Turn him into stars and form a constellation in his image. His face will make the heavens so beautiful that the world will fall in love with the night and forget about the garish sun. I changed some words but that's what I felt when they asked me to write his eulogy. I always thought that we were Romeo and Juliet but without the tragedy for Juliet."

"Somebody the other day asked me to describe home. And I started to talk about his hair color and the sound of his voice, and the taste of his lips, and how his skin feels, until I realized that they had expected to hear a place. I remember his voice so clearly and I'm afraid that I'll forget it. Steve Rogers was more than Captain America to me. When they asked me to write this eulogy, it was the hardest thing to write. I started over 10 times and the only thing that I kept writing over was three words. Three words that I didn't say to him. And I'll never have the chance to say again. But what I can say now is that you'll never be forgotten."

___________

PRESENT

The conference room started to get a little heated which prompted Caroline to check up on their prisoner.  The cell which contained Loki was the same that they used against Caroline when she would lose control. Being cooped up just makes your head go in circles about decisions and life.

"Hey Phil, how's he doing?"

"He's doing fine but you guys have to do some hard work at finding the tesseract." Phil said they both looked away for a moment before Loki stabbed Coulson in the chest with this spear and Loki stabbing her too but this time it was with a wooden stake. She fell to the floor a couple of feet away from Coulson. She looked over at Coulson and could feel her throat close up when she saw the blood coming from Phil's mouth. She tried her hardest hiding her fangs because all she wanted to do was cry.

"You're going to be okay. Just hang on Phil." Caroline felt the tears running down her cheeks as she dragged herself closer to Phil. She tried to calm herself down by taking in deep breaths but it wasn't helping.

"Caroline" Phil gasped trying to grab her hand," It's okay"

"No, you can't die okay! Your suppose to see me get married and screw up my life even more than usual." she sobbed at the agent that she considered her father," You promised me you wouldn't leave me"

"I'm not leaving you." Phil shook his head and smiled at her," You can take care of yourself."

Caroline shook her head knowing it wasn't true," No, I can't. You were always there for me, who's going to stop me from almost killing Tony or me on my killing sprees." Phil tried laughing at the last part but choked on his own blood.

"You're my dad, okay? You will always have a special place in my heart. And that's why you can't die." she told him

"You know I love you, right?" Phil asked Caroline," More than anything in the world."

"Remember that girl that just wanted everyone to be happy, even in the midst of all the crazy unhappy bits. I hope you know that you've given me the courage to change. I hope you know that who you are is who you choose to be, and that whispers behind your back don't define you. You are the only one who gets to decide what you will be remembered for." Phil said noticing the tears forming in his eyes. Phil couldn't accept that Caroline was going to be losing him.

"Well look who came to join the party." Loki said as Fury busted in and kneeled in front of Phil while removing the stake that was in Caroline.

"Stay awake." Fury demanded turning Phil's face," Eyes on me"

"No, I'm clocking out." Phil whispered.

"Not an option"

Loki escaped, leaving a crushed Caroline on the floor next to Phil.

"Coulson is down, the medical team is down here and already called it." Fury said into his ear piece after a moment.

Pain. You just have to ride it out. Hope it goes away on its own. Hope the wound that caused it heals. There are no solutions. No easy answers. You just breathe deep and wait for it to subside. Most of the time, pain can be managed. But sometimes, the pain gets you when you least expect it. Hits way below the belt and doesn't let up. Pain. You just have to fight through. Because the truth is, you can't outrun it. And life always makes more

"Someone needs to get down here and escort Kingsley to her room she isn't moving." Fury spoke once again as Caroline went back to staring at the wall.

"He promised he would never leave me."

"Caroline?" Steve kneeled down checking on her, noticing that the blonde was staring at the wall.

"Let's get you back to your room." Steve pulled Caroline up onto her feet and putting his arm under her knees picking her up bridal style. She didn't want to move, all she did was leaned on Steve.