Chapter 3

Elena's POV

When I wake up, I still am in the same position I was when I fell asleep. Damon was sleeping away, so I moved my head to the position where I was able to look at him. I just examined his face. It was so soft when he was sleeping. His long eyebrows relaxed, his hair spiking up in different directions, his lips in a semi-smile. He's just gorgeous.

A smile starts to creep up on his face as he says, while still having his eyes closed, "You didn't think you could stare at me without waking me, did you"

I giggle a little bit, and he opens his eyes and stares at me awhile.

"I was just thinking about how life could be with you. I mean.. I've experienced it with Stefan, but it wasn't anything very special," I say.

"We could..His hand starts to reach out for my face, as he looks at me dead in the eyes, "Experience it together..." I cut him off.

"Damon.." I look away. "I can't.."

I see his eyes look down. That sminge of happiness he had on his face is now drained away.
"Okay,"

He gets up to leave, but right before he gets to the door I run over to him and I turn him around. I look at him for a little and then I hug him.

"I'm sorry.. I just.. Need time," I whisper.

"I understand," he says as he pulls my arms off of him and walks out my doorway.

He held my hand.. I thought to myself over and over in the morning. What have I done? Does he love me? Does he really not care that his own brother loves me?