Chapter 1: Red and Blue

Catalina Marie Posada was born on the same day with Maria and both of them looked completely different. She has black hair and blue eyes unlike her sister's brown hair and hazel eyes. Many people who laid their very own sights upon them can't tell whether both of them are twins or just sisters, but much to their slight annoyance their parents have to say they're twins and sisters. As they grow, Catalina and Maria loved to play with each other. They loved to dress-up, play hopscotch, tell stories to one another, and go out to meet their childhood friends, Manolo and Joaquin. When Catalina played mostly with Joaquin, a sudden warm feeling rises in her chest that she blushed most of the time whenever he held her hand to go somewhere. She's too young to understand what she felt, but she kept telling her sister what was going on between the two.

"Catalina, I think you like Joaquin," Maria said while both of them sat under the tree for shade.

"You think so, Maria?" she asked. "I believe that Joaquin had the best father. Just because he fought in the Mexican War."

Maria laughed and seeing her laughing made Catalina laugh too. "You know, Catalina, one day you and Joaquin will sit under a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G soon."

Catalina blushed profusely that she gave her sister a small shove, causing her to giggle. "Maria! Not funny!" she scowled with a smile crept up on her face.

"It's worth it, sis. And by the way, you think it would be nice if I will be one of your bridesmaids?" Maria asked.

"MARIA!" Catalina grabbed an acorn from the ground and threw it towards Maria. Maria moved out of the way to miss it, and the acorn hits on Joaquin's chest. Manolo placed his hand over his mouth to stifle the laughter.

"Whoa! Who threw that?" he asked.

"It was Catalina. She threw it." Maria said, and she walked behind her. Catalina blushed furiously when her blue eyes met his light green ones.

"I-I'm s-sorry, Joaquin. I d-didn't mean that to happen. I was throwing the acorn at mi hermana and she moved out of the way. I didn't expect it to hit you." she stuttered.

Joaquin smiled and wrapped his arms around her, causing her blush red even more and almost faint. "It's okay, Catalina. I forgive you."

Those words made her swoon, and once she looked at Maria, she knew that her sister was giggling softly at her.

"Oh, Catty. You should've seen the look on your face, hermana." Maria chuckled.

"Pwease, stop laughing at me, Maria." Catalina sighed. "Okay, it's time to let me go now, Joaquin."

"Oh, right. Hey, Manolo, do you have something to tell them?" Joaquin asked while he let go of his embrace around her.

"Yeah. Do both of you know what tomorrow will be? It's special."

Catalina squealed slightly for what she knew the next day would be. "Ooh! The Day of the Dead?"

Manolo smiled. "Yes! That's it!"

They all jumped in excitement and hugged one another along with the case of laughs and giggles. The Day of the Dead is the best holiday they all know. There's food, ofrendas, marigolds, candles, pan de Muertos, even the fiesta that held the people in San Angel finished being there around their loved ones' graves.

"Oh, I can't wait for this day tomorrow. I can't wait to see you guys." Maria chirped. And right before Catalina say something, she noticed that sunny midday turned into the sunset. The night was on its way.

Manolo moved his guitar behind his back and glimpsed the soft colors of orange, pink, and purple in the sky. "I think it's time for us to go home, guys. We can't stay out here in the dark. Our parents will be worried by then."

"You're right, Manny. Anyways... I'll see you guys tomorrow! Bye!" Joaquin said and ran off.

"Maria! Catalina!" their father, General Posada, called.

The two stood up and ran towards their father. Catalina looked at Manolo and gave him a reassuring smile hinting him that they'll see him tomorrow.

"Manolo!" his father, Carlos Sanchez, called.

"Coming, papá!" he yelled and walked away. He looked at the sunset and seeing it pass over the mountains made him smile. Thinking how Catalina reassured him made him not to feel bad because all of them will meet again and have fun. Besides, it is the Day of the Dead.