Chapter 10: Journey to The Remembered

"Manolo's dead!" Catalina sobbed against the throne chair. "He must've felt like it's his fault when it's not! Why, Manolo? Why?"

Ezekiel approached the Queen of Life and his hand rubbed her back to comfort her. "I'm sorry, Catalina, but there is good news. He's going to be in The Land of the Remembered because of his father."

"Ay, gracias a Dios." Catalina lifted her head from the seat to wipe her tears. She felt relieved her friend is in a much better place.

"Plus, there is a possible way for you to get to him," he added.

Catalina quickly stood up, hope brewing in her chest. "Really?! Please tell me!"

"You can teleport." Ezekiel smiled.

"Teleport?" Catalina asked, looking at her hands to see them forming sparkling flower petals.

"Along with the ability to teleport, you also can shapeshift into anyone or anything. You can also heal others from their fatal wounds. You can fight as well, for your powers being part of your emotions."

The goddess smiled when the petals transform into a bouquet of marigolds before it vanished. "That's...amazing!"

"If you want, I can teach you how to teleport, just because you don't have much time. Tell me. Do you feel something off or something bad is about to happen to the Land of the Living?" Ezekiel asked for he sensed something wrong.

Catalina looked at the window that showed the entire realm down below. "I felt... It felt like someone's coming. I don't know when, but it'll happen soon." She faced the fire sprite with determination, offering her hand. Alright. Let's do this."

Ezekiel took her hand, and they teleported to a floating oval land far behind the castle containing a garden protected by an invisible barrier. It's a beautiful flower garden with roses, marigolds, orchids, lilies, hydrangeas, sedums, and sunflowers aligned by a path of cobblestone and white quartz pedestals. When they arrived in a flash of light on the large circle center of the garden, Catalina gasped when she saw the flowers gently swaying by the wind. She never thought the garden could be this breathtaking.

"This is the garden, a perfect spot for your training," Ezekiel stated while watching the goddess stands a foot away from him, ready to test out her powers.

"Now. For you to move to the area you desire, you have to concentrate. Put your heart into it."

Catalina looks at her left to see a path of orchids. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes to concentrate. In a split second, Catalina felt weightless for a moment before she found herself colliding against, to her surprise, moving vines that prevent her from hitting the bush of orchids.

"Yep. I need more practice." Catalina sighed while the vines gently raise her to her feet before retracting back into the bushes. She closed her eyes to concentrate once again and thought of the path of sunflowers behind Ezekiel. The weightless feeling returned and stopped when she felt she could be at the exact spot she wanted to be. The goddess slowly opens her eyes to see herself standing on the path with sunflowers much to her joy.

"I...I did it. I did it!" Catalina smiled at the success of her teleporting abilities.

Ezekiel turned in her direction with a grin. "Good job! Now try this." He summoned a wilted rose. "Heal this dying plant."

Catalina walked toward the fire sprite and carefully took the rose. Her eyes widened to see the stem of the flower turn green and upward, the rose petals from black to pure red.

Catalina bounced a little at her another success. "Yes!"

"Now, for your final part of your training, concentrate on turning into an animal or different person you desire."

Taking in a deep breath with concentration once more, the goddess turned into a white owl with blue eyes and switched back to her original form.

"I'm impressed. You're truly a fast learner." Ezekiel said while he clapped his hand.

"Thanks." Catalina smiled.

"I have to admit. I never thought a new ruler of The Land of the Blessed could learn the extent of one's abilities that quick. It takes time." a male voice complimented.

Catalina quickly turned to see the ruler of The Land of the Cursed behind her. He looked like Xibalba, but the difference about him is his form made out of boiling lava with orange eyes and blue skulls for pupils. His hair and facial hair are black than white. He wears black gloves with red flames, a conquering armor adorned with multiple small skulls and red stars, and a metal crown with wings that sprout from both sides. It also has striped candles lit with blue flames and small red and black skulls.

"E-El Chamuco!" Ezekiel exclaimed with a quick bow.

"No way. It is you."

The fire god bowed. "A pleasure to meet you, La Vida."

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to check up on you and to see how you make progress, and so far you took me by surprise." El Chamuco said as he moves to the white quartz pedestal.

"I need to help someone from The Land of the Remembered. A friend of mine."

The fire god traces the swirl pattern on the quartz before his eyes land on the goddess. "I know. It's Manolo, isn't it?"

"Yes."

He chuckled. "Ah, yes. I had a feeling that my brother has something to do about that, but I won't say it. You have to see the truth for yourself. I'll have my servant to watch over the throne for you while you make your way to help your friend."

"Oh, gracias!" Catalina beamed.

"You're welcome. Now hurry. Time is at the essence. The balance of life is on your shoulders."

Catalina was about to ready herself to turn into an owl, but the feeling of slight suspicion stopped her from doing so. Why El Chamuco bother to help her? Is he doing this to gain her trust before sending her to his unknowing trap? He does look intimidating like Xibalba and could be known to do more harm than good like him.

"Wait. Xibalba is your brother, why are you helping me?" Catalina looked at the fire god with concern.

El Chamuco sighed. "La Vida, sometimes it doesn't hurt to offer assistance to another god outside of the Living. You have so much to learn before I finish my deed."

Catalina nodded and looks at the sky. "Okay. I'll be off then."

In a flash of flowers, Catalina turned into an owl and fly into the sky to begin her journey. The journey to The Land of the Remembered.

"The balance of life is on your shoulders."