Chapter 13: Battle of One's Worst Fear

Manolo found himself in the center of the bullring, inside of the Land of the Remembered's Battle Arena Coliseum. Thousands of spectators are watching from their seats while the gods, including Catalina, are placed on the balcony.

"Manolo Sanchez! You will have to defeat every bull the Sanchez family ever finished!" Xibalba said.

"That would be thousands!" Luis gasped as he watches thousands of bulls coming out from their stone chambers, surrounding his grandson.

"All...at...once! If you complete this task, you will live again." He summoned Manolo in dummy form. "And if you fail, you will be forgotten. Forever." The dark god blows him away into ashes.

"This is impossible!" Candlemaker placed his hands on his head in dread. "It can't be done!"

"Come on, Manolo! I believe in you!" Catalina cheered him on, causing Xibalba to groan in disgust.

"Vamos, toro, venga!" Manolo yelled as he begins swaying his red cape. He swiftly moves out of the way from three different bulls charging at him with a triumphant chuckle.

"You can do it!" Carmelo Sanchez praised.

~

Outside the gates of San Angel, one of Chakal's bandit was chasing after two little boys before his face met the fist of Carlos Sanchez, sending him unconscious.

"Are you two alright?" Carlos asked.

"Chakal is coming! With a whole army behind him!" One of the boys spoke.

"You boys warn General Posada." Carlos escorted them away to safety, taking his swords out from his back as he faces the approaching bandits. "I will buy you some time. Who wants to go first?"

Some of the bandits chuckle darkly and move out of the way. Their Bandit King, Chakal, comes forward and draws both of his swords out, ready to attack.

"I hate...bullfighters." He sneered.

"Then come and get some." Carlos challenged.

The Bandit King and Sanchez assail at each other, resulting in Carlos losing his life.

~

Back at the Coliseum, Manolo was waving his red cape, only to find himself losing his balance from many bulls rushing past him and got knocked over.

"Manolo! Get out of there!" the singing pirate, Jorge Sanchez, shouted.

Manolo tries to stand up but got knocked over by other bulls, sending him down to the ground again with a loud grunt. In a flash of light behind Carmen, Carlos appeared to be one of the Dead.

"What is happening?" Carlos asked before seeing his beloved wife reunite with him in a hug.

"Carlos!" Carmen cried in joy.

"Carmen!" He reciprocated his hug in return, happy to be with her again.

Upon seeing Manolo's father, Catalina gasped in shock. "Oh, no..."

"Manolo! Your father is here!" Candlemaker yelled.

Manolo slowly gets up from the news. "Papa?"

"Chakal and his men are at the gates of San Angel!" Carlos shouted, and the Goddess of Life gasp once again in alarm.

"Ay, Maria, and Joaquin, please be okay. Please." Catalina prayed with her eyes closed. They opened when she felt La Muerte's hand rested upon her shoulder, kneeling with a warm smile. Catalina's tension fades slightly before returning even worse when she sees the bulls starting to converge into a cloud of smoke. "Manolo!"