Chapter 2: The Day of The Dead

"Catalina! Catalina!" Maria cried.

Catalina was sleeping in her bed beside her sister's until she was awakened. She groaned when she felt a sinking feeling on her bed and pair of hands on her shoulders.

"Caty, wake up. Today is a big day, and we're going to have so much fun!"

"Ugh. What do you mean today's the big day, Maria? I'm soo sleepy." Catalina whined.

Maria raised an eyebrow by her sister's response. How could she not know? "You know, we're going to eat yummy churros and play with Manolo and Joaquin?"

Manolo and Joaquin. Right before Maria continued to say the rest, she got off the bed and started getting dressed.

"Oh, yeah, right! Today's the Day of the Dead! Oh, I can wait to see them!"

Maria giggled. "Looks like you only wake up when it comes to this particular day along with your special someone."

"Ay, Maria. Now's not the time to start talking about it," she said, blushing slightly.

"Okay, I won't. Just saying that you and Joaquin are perfect together."

Catalina groaned while she slipped on her Mary Jane shoes. Maria went through her toy box and took out two wooden swords.

"Ready for no retreat, no surrender?" she asked with a grin.

Catalina was about to reply until General Posada entered their room. "Maria and Catalina. You two have chores to do."

They groaned.

"But why, papá? Today's the Day of the Dead, not Chores Day." Catalina said, and her sister giggled.

"Is it? Because you two haven't washed anything around the house." General Posada replied with a stern look on his face.

"Okay, papá. Me and Catalina will clean the house and then we'll go if it's okay with you." Maria said with an innocent smile.

General Posada nodded his head and turned on his heel to leave. "Okay, then. Make sure I don't see anything messy. Otherwise, both of you will never go out," he warned.

After they had heard the footsteps getting fainter and fainter, they groaned once again.

"Ay, dios mios, Maria. What are we going to do now? We're stuck in here until this place is cleaned. And not only that, we don't even know how to clean!"

"I know some, but... Eh..."

"What?"

"We know how to sweep, dust and wash the dishes, does he need the chickens to get cleaned since he wanted anything to be clean?"

"Hmm..." Catalina's lips curled up into a mischievous smile. "Maybe we can clean the chickens along with the two chores. I bet that doing this will be enough for us to go out and play."

"Yeah..."

The two sisters giggled about their idea, and they went downstairs to the kitchen. Maria started to wash the dishes while Catalina swept the floor. The two sisters helped one by one dust every home decor and furniture, leaving one last thing to do: Bathe the chickens.

Maria and Catalina tip-toed to the backyard where a cage full of chickens settled. They brought out a metal bucket filled with water and soap; the two sisters couldn't help but giggle as they settled the bucket to the ground.

"Okay, Catalina. Try to get one of the chickens." Maria demanded.

Catalina opened the cage and right before she knew it, a bunch of them escaped. She chased them down, trying to catch them. "Agh, Maria! Is this part of the plan?!"