6

The sun was high in the sky and the streets were empty. I think.
During the walk to God knows where I felt like eyes were watching us. Like we weren't alone.
Out of no where, Blaze took my hand in his and entwined our fingers together. His hand was warm and the touch sent electricity pulsing through my arm.
I looked down at our hands then at his face. He didn't seem aware of it. As if this was something he did everyday.
I looked back at the road.
Maybe the hand holding thing was just for safety.
Yeah. Safety.
I tried to ignore the tingling feeling in the tips of my fingers and kept walking.

" So where are we going?" I asked.
" Well, we're just looking for a place packed with Hypees"
" Packed with what?"
" HY-PEES. It's a nickname I came up with for the hypnotised people."
" Cool- wait, you want us to be surrounded by crazy hypnotised people?!"I asked, my eyes wide. A day ago we were trying to get as far away from those people as possible. Now, Blaze wants us to have a little party with them. How convenient.
" Yep." He said simply.
" You're crazy." I said while shaking my head in disbelief.
" I know."
This didn't sound like the best idea but I guess I'm gonna have to go with it since it's our only chance to get to the bottom of this.
" If we need somewhere packed with Hypees then I guess we should go somewhere that's usually crowded. Where's always crowded?" I asked.
"Stadium." He said with a duh tone.
" We're not gonna get there any time soon if we're going on foot." I said.
" I know but we ought to keep our heads down. If we drive a car, it'll make Hypees suspicious. Might even chase after us. I don't want to take that risk." He said.

He had a point.

Night fell and the light blue of the sky darkened to a deep cold blue stroked with purple and red. No electricity was on in the streets or in houses.

It was utterly pitch black.
We had walked for about six hours with short breaks in between for food and water.
Blaze had insisted we stop two hours ago but I refused. I couldn't just sit around doing nothing when my family was in danger. When the world was in danger.
We were the only people that could help and I promised myself I wouldn't fail.

When my feet screamed for rest and my spine burned I finally decided to sit down.

We were in a park; all full of grass and the refreshing smell of wild flowers.
Small specks of light floated dizzily in the air around me moving in circles and spirals with no purpose but to the light the dark night.
Fireflies.
I lied down on the grass and looked at the sky. For the first time in a while, I could see the stars spilled across the dark blue night sky.
The only time I ever saw the sky like this was when I went to our house in the country side with my family in the summer.
I'd lay down with Luke and Noah on each side of me and we'd count the stars and imagine shapes like animals and trees and cars since we were no good at telling constellations.
The night was quiet and the air was chilly.
I heard the shuffle of feet beside me and then I found Blaze laying by my side.
" We should camp here." I said while marvelling at the stars.
" But we're out in the open-" " Please" I said and I turned my head to look at him.

The sky was reflected in his eyes, dotting them with white specks.
" Okay." He said calmly and he entwined his fingers with mine and placed both our hands on his chest.
I could feel his heartbeat through my hand and for a second there I thought his heart rate sped up.
Maybe I'm just imagining.
" Do you think we can do this?" I asked.
" What? Save the world? Piece of cake." He said with a light hearted tone.
He made it feel so easy. As if we'd go to sleep and find all our problems solved in the morning.
I closed my eyes and dozed off.