2.

Kate Marsh made my head spin.

She was kind, even though we were both born into a world as cruel as this.

I met her at the Two Whales Diner a few weeks back.

More like saw her, to be honest with you.

I sat exactly a booth behind her with my little sister Leanne, ordering our breakfast before I dropped her off at our parents' house so that I could go back to school. The fact that we lived in Arcadia Bay together kept the option open for me to either A) Stay home and get dropped off to school every morning and picked up after school or B) Stay at school and get a car.

Frankly, it was a pretty fair deal to me; less work for my parents and a car of my own to drive around as I pleased.

So long as I didn't get arrested for speeding.

The food had arrived and we started to stuff our faces on breakfast.

I looked up as I chewed my food, looking in Kate's direction; she was having breakfast with her sisters. My shoulders tensed when I saw someone from school, don't know and don't care what her name was, but she went up to Kate and started spitting insults her way.

"You fucking goody goody, with that little cross around your neck," she spat at her, the words venomous like a lasting bite from a viper. "Go die, you little-"

I clenched my fist around my fork and threw it against my plate angrily, getting up to give that bitch a peace of my mind. Leanne gave me a warning look, telling me not to get involved with her.

I didn't give two shits.

As soon as I was about to get up, I saw the look on Kate's face; determined but completely unfazed. "I think you should go, Marcy," Kate's voice confident and powerful enough to keep me in my seat. "I have somewhere to be and I can't be late."

She didn't see me, but I saw her. I saw her as a powerful woman who could stand up for herself despite how relentless the world was to her..

She not only won all of my respect, but all of my love.

- - - - -

"Theo, are you even listening?"

My head snapped to my right when I realized Mr. Jefferson was calling my name. "Sorry, what?" I finally managed to say, my mind still going back to the day I first saw Kate Marsh.

Mr. Jefferson shook his head at me and continued, talking more about the history of photography. I breathed out a sigh of relief and continued clicking my pen, waiting for time to pass so that I could leave.

Maxine Caulfield never talked to me; hell, even now she was sleeping in the middle of class. But I liked it that way. I sat at her desk, and neither of us talked; we silently acknowledged each other's presence, but never got around to verbally or physically doing so.

It was common knowledge that most of the girls who came to this class were mainly there just to thirst for Mr. Jefferson's 'hot' face. Me? I wouldn't know because 1) I'm straight and 2) I came to his classes for one person and one person only, Kate Marsh.

Okay, fine. I confess; I'm actually pretty into photography, but what Mr. Jefferson's teaching right now is the basic knowledge stuff, stuff that I already know, so there's not much of a point to pay attention in the first place.