A Teenage Love Affair: Chapter 54- I Choose You

I think true love exists. It waits, persists, forgives and sacrifices. But love is love. It will come to a point where it will get tired if it’s taken for granted, abused and not appreciated.

I shouldn’t be here with Marky. I know that it’s not right to sit here in this very bench with him again when I just gave him up to his mother. I should have been strong enough to walk away. And I shouldn’t love him this way.

I love you.” he says without looking at me. I took a deep breath as the pain sinks in. I close my eyes to feel it.

“I love you, Dennise.” He says again. This time, turning me to face him. “I love you. I love you and I love you. Now, forever and always.”

“And I love you.” I sighed as I look away. “But we should not force ourselves anymore. You shouldn’t be saying this to me. I shouldn’t be saying this to you.”

“I love you, you love me. Why can’t we be together?”

“We should not be talking about this.” I stood up. “This is pointless. We’re just gonna—“

“Fall in love with each other again.” he completed the sentence.

“Marky, please don’t make this any harder for the both of us.”

“Why?”

Because that’s why.”

“Dennise, please. What happened between me and Dee or Gavril and me, those were in the past! Don’t make it look like it’s a big deal!”

I scoffed in disbelief. “It is a big deal, Marky, when you didn’t tell me anything! You said… there’s nothing to worry about. You said you will tell me if something is wrong—“

“But nothing is wrong. You just like to make things so complicated.”

“I didn’t make things complicated. You did.

“Sometimes,” I look back at him sadly; clearly the rage is coming down. “There are a lot of things I don’t understand. Why did you have to hurt me? How much I have loved you, is how much you have hurt Me.” my tears start to fall and I wipe them away. “You seem to make it a hobby to hurt me. What did I ever do to you? I just loved you. Sometimes I thought if I have loved you because you are like that or are you like that because you knew I love you?

“I’m not even sure if I’m really the Dennise you say your love to. Marky, I should be the one asking why. Why? Why am I not enough for you? Tell me now where was my fault in loving you with my whole heart.”

“There was no fault in loving me, Dennise. I love you. You are enough for me. There’s no one else. And I didn’t lie to you. My only fault in our relationship is that I wasn’t open to you when I had to.” A tear fell from his eye. “Please tell me what I should do to gain your forgiveness. Tell me and I’ll do it for you. Please tell me… come back to me.”

I shook my head. “If I accept your apology, will it change everything—anything?” I cried. “Will it change the fact that you’ve hurt me already?”

“You said you don’t want to lose me. If you love me as much as I love you, why are you walking away? Aren’t we facing the same battles?”

“Marky,”

He shouts and kneels on the ground. “Will you stop playing hard to get for once and set aside that pride of yours? I’m really, really trying to have you back. Please just tell me what to do to have you back.”

“Marky, you don’t always get what you want—“

“But I need you, Dennise.” He cries and he grabs my hand. “I don’t know if I could survive another day without you. I don’t want to live another day without you.”