Chapter 2

I almost spit out my milk.

After swallowing hastily, I asked in a loud voice, "What?!"

A few people looked over at me, so I asked again in a quieter voice, "What?!"

Stuart looked at me like I was dumb, "Oh come on! Do you honestly think that I would let it go that easily?"

I knew he wouldn't let it go as easily as he did earlier. I instantly glared at Jenna, but she held up her hands.

I said quietly as I picked at my food, "Traitor."

She said in her defense, "What? He was very persistent. Trust me. He wasn't going to take no for an answer."

I shook my head and he asked again, "So, what are we doing?"

Jenna smiled and said, "I can't say in front of her. It's going to be a surprise."

I rolled my eyes at both of them, but they just laughed. The warning bell rang, signaling that we had five minutes until class. I sighed heavily as I stood up, not really sure how to feel about the fact that I was going to have to spend a whole night with Stuart trying to hit on me the entire time. The afternoon classes passed slowly, almost as if time was going slower in order to make my nerves about the coming night to rise throughout the afternoon. I walked out of the doors as the last bell rang and saw Jenna waiting by her car. I walked over to her car and threw my bag in the back. She smiled at me as we drove out of the parking lot, and her smile only grew as we got closer to her house. When we pulled into her driveway, she almost jumped out of her car while it was still on.

I asked her as she pulled me into her house, "What are you so excited about?"

She beamed at me and we walked into the living room of their house. Their house wasn't a mansion, but it had a homey feel to it. I always felt just as home here as in my own house, which I couldn't decide if that was a good thing or a bad thing. Jenna led me up the stairs to her room and we both threw our bags onto the floor. Her room always made me smile, what with its yellow walls with paintings of flower buds drawn on the walls. I fell down on a bean bag she had in the corner and let out a sigh.

Jenna laughed and said, "You know you can't stay like that forever."

I eyed her suspiciously and asked, "What do you have planned?"

She gave me that smile that I knew all too well and I knew that, whatever she had planned for tonight, it wasn't going to be good. She walked into her closet and started to throw clothes around as if she was searching for something specifically. After a few seconds I heard her make a happy gasp and she came out with a triumphant look on her face. She threw a handful of clothes to me and started to walk out of the room.

Before she shut the door she said, "I'll be in the bathroom doing my hair. I don't want to hear any grumbling from you okay?"

I rolled my eyes at her and she laughed as she closed the door. I looked down at what she had thrown at me and it had sequins all over it. Oh great. Something to draw attention to myself. I changed into the clothes, making sure to avoid my image in the mirror until I had everything on. I paused for a couple seconds before I looked into the mirror. I never wore anything more than my usual shirt and jeans. I exhaled and looked into the mirror. I gasped and brought my hand to gently cover my mouth. The girl in the mirror did the same, but I already barely recognized myself.

Jenna had given me a gold tank top that was completely covered in sequins, while the back of it was open with extra fabric grouped together at the bottom. The dark skinny jeans I wore were cuffed a little above my ankle and had some tears on the front of my legs, which showed off bits of my olive skin. I looked through her selection of shoes and found a pair of glittery gold heels. I walked to the bathroom and walked in to see Jenna doing her hair. She looked at my outfit and nodded in approval.