Chapter 13

Shadow had never shown up to take my spot as hostage. I was still in the same situation that I was in before I fell asleep and had the dream. The realization hit me and the force of what had just happened made tears instantly stream down my face. The rope dug into my wrists as I leaned forward, but I didn't care. I didn't care anymore that I was stuck in a room all alone, was never allowed to see the sunset or the stars, and was being fed arsenic, what ever that was. I hung my head and accepted defeat.

There was no way that I was ever going to escape this room and chair. I was going to rot in the room for the rest of my life, since Shadow was never coming to save me. I cried tears of pain, sorrow, and grief for what seemed like hours, but no one came into the room until after all of the tears in me had been cried out. Dorian came into the room, along with five other men.

He yelled at his men, "Get her out! Get her now!"

I looked around nervously, not really knowing what was going to be done to me. The men cut all of the rope that held me down and they lifted me out of the chair. Dorian himself grabbed my arm and the men formed a circle around us. We walked out of the room and the men instantly tensed. I looked up at Dorian and saw that he looked nervous himself, which made me wonder what made him feel like that. I instantly thought of Shadow, but there was no way that he would've been able to find me so fast. I then started to wonder how long I had been asleep. Was it just for a few hours, or for a few days? Dorian pulled me out of my thoughts as he pulled onto my arm tighter, which made me cry out in pain.

He said to me, "Shut up!"

I instantly stopped making any noise, since he had looked like a mad man when he yelled at me. We walked down the hallway and towards another room that had stairs leading to it. We walked up the stairs and one of the men opened the door quickly. The two men in the front leaned out into the room and pointed their guns to where they were looking. After a few seconds of silence, the men waved for us to come through the door.

I could tell we were headed toward the back of the apartment building that looked like it was joined to other buildings when I saw it from the outside. We walked into a room that had boxes almost covering every inch of the floor. This room was bigger than I had imagined, and it seemed that this was why they made the back of the building bigger than before. There was an obvious pathway to the other side of the room, but there were smaller pathways that led off towards other parts of the room. The two men that had gone ahead rejoined the circle and all of the men held up their guns tensely.

Dorian whispered, "Last seen in the computer room. Hasn't been seen for four minutes, seventeen seconds."

The men all nodded at once, which made me think that Shadow was here. There was no one else that would make Dorian as nervous as he was acting, which made hope rise in my heart. He was here to save me. He had come. I looked around the room, hoping to see him lurking in the shadows waiting for the perfect time to rescue me. After not seeing him anywhere in the room, I looked down at the ground and tried to watch where I was going. The men around Dorian and I just kicked the boxes out of their way, which made a lot more noise than Dorian obviously approved of.

His face sunk more and more into a deep scowl as we walked and I was afraid that he was going to kill one of the men right then and there. We made it halfway through the room before we heard a loud, guttural scream. The sound of the scream made goose bumps rise on my arms and the hairs on the back of my neck rise up. We all stopped walking and Dorian obviously held his breath. After no other noises were heard, the men started to move in unison to make it to the other side of the room as fast as they could.

Dorian said, "Keep your eyes open. He's here."

I looked around, thinking that Dorian had seen Shadow somewhere, but I still didn't see him.