Chapter 8

"I can't believe I'm here right now. It's almost eight o'clock anyway. No one's coming."

Jenna sighed heavily and said, "Just wait a few more minutes."

I groaned and crossed my arms.

She laughed and said, "I told you that you were going to come and you agreed to get into the car willingly. I didn't force you to come into my car."

I glared at her and said, "You might as well of."

She laughed and said, "You're just scared of having something exciting happen in your life."

"Trust me, enough has happened in the past couple of weeks for a lifetime! I've had enough excitement!"

I still hadn't told Jenna about the gang incident, so she thought I was only talking about the fire.

She rolled her eyes and said, "Shhh. I need silence."

I gaped and asked her incredulously, "For what!?"

"I'm looking in the dark for your mystery person."

"How is silence helping you see in the dark?"

"I need to concentrate."

I rolled my eyes and kept quiet.

She said after a few minutes, "Look! Over there!"

I looked where she was looking, but I didn't see anything. I didn't want to say that I didn't see anything out loud, just so she wouldn't think that concentrating actually helped her see in the dark. After a few more seconds though, I saw a figure come out of the darkness and stand near the light coming from the light pole. I knew that it was Shadow when I saw that the figure was wearing complete black.

Jenna said, "Okay Aleksandria, this is it. If anything happens, run back to the car. Don't look behind you, because that will just slow you down....or, knowing you, you'll trip."

"Thanks for the encouragement."

"Just be careful."

"I feel like we're about to do some sort of drug deal or something."

She laughed and said, "It feels like it doesn't it? It's a bit...exciting!"

I rolled my eyes at her and got out of the car. The cold air bit at my hands, and I immediately regretted not wearing gloves. I walked towards the light pole that Shadow was standing near, but he didn't move. I walked towards him until the edge of the light from the light pole hit my feet, and then I stopped. I knew that if something happened and I had to run back towards the car, I would not be able to get back to it. My heartbeat quickened at that thought, but I tried to show no sign of panic on my face.

I asked him, "Why am I here?"

He sighed heavily and fully walked into the light. I gasped when I saw a huge bruise that had formed on one of his cheeks.

He said, "This is what happens when you save someone. It comes at a price."

I laughed and said, "So he's human after all."

He sighed exasperatedly and said firmly, "I didn't come here for you to mock me. I'm risking enough just by asking you to come here!"

I took a step back from his fierceness reflexively. He hissed through his teeth quietly as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

He mumbled underneath his breath, "I just asked one simple thing... Tanjun'na koto. Watashi wa nani o okonau koto wa arimasen."

I gave him a confused look, but he just shook his head.