Chapter 10

When I woke up, my mind was extremely groggy. I tried to open my eyes, but nothing in my body was responding to my mind. I heard voices, but I couldn't make out any words that they were saying. After a few minutes, I realized that I was sitting in a chair, but my hands and legs were tied down. They were bound by rope to the chair, and I could tell that it was already cutting into my wrists and ankles. After a few more minutes, I was finally able to lift my head up. I opened my eyes when I had looked up, but there was a blinding light flashing down into my eyes. I tried to use my hands to cover my eyes from the light, but my hand just pathetically pulled against the rope.

The people who were talking in the room became quiet and I realized that they knew that I was awake. After my eyes had adjusted to the bright light somewhat, I looked up and gasped. What? It was the two men from the mall. Both men were standing in front of me. The brown haired one just looked down at me with disgust and the other man looked down at me with a blank face. None of us said anything for a while, but the silence was deafening.

After a few awkward seconds, the brown haired man said, "Well, she's awake."

My mind drifted to last night, or at least the last night I was in my house, and remembered going downstairs because of the noises. I remembered pain in my arms, and then nothing. As I looked around the room more it was getting hard to stay calm. There was no way this was happening to me. You only ever see people get kidnapped in movies...are maybe on the news but I never thought it would happen to me. I looked up at the two men in front of me and tried to speak, but my throat was so dry that I couldn't make a noise. I opened my mouth, but no sound came out.

One of the men said, "She's thirsty Asher. Get her a drink."

The brown haired man seemed to speak with an air of authority, showing me that he was the leader out of the two men. The black haired man, who was apparently named Asher, walked out of the room, leaving the leader and me alone.

He said with sarcasm, "How are you feeling? Are you comfortable? I managed to get you the best seat here."

I glared at him, but he just smiled. I looked around the room and found that I was in a completely concrete room with only a door as a way out. There was only one light in the room, and it was hanging down from the ceiling by a crude-looking chord. The floor was covered in dirt and who knows what else and the walls had dark red marks that made me cringe. I heard the door open and saw Asher come back with a glass of water. The sight of the water sloshing in the clear glass made my own mouth water, which I had thought impossible.

Asher came near me and held the glass up to my mouth. He lifted the glass quickly, which made me gulp down the water that much faster. As I was drinking, I almost cringed when I felt the grime in the water stick to my teeth. When I was done with the water, Asher took away the glass quickly. I wanted to ask for more, but he walked out of the room before I was able to say anything. I looked back at the leader, but he just stared back at me.

I asked him in a hoarse voice, "Why am I here?"

He laughed and said, "Why are you here? Do you really not know?"

I gave him a confused look, but he just laughed again.

He said, "You really don't know...of course, I'm sure you're going to find out sooner or later. You're going to lead Shadow right to us."

I gaped at him. He wasn't serious was he?

I asked him quietly, "What are you talking about?"

"Shadow and you are obviously close to each other, so why not use you as leverage against him?"

I gaped at him and said, "There is nothing between us! He only saved me once!"

He looked down at me and asked, "Really? Only once?"