Chapter Forty Eight

LIVE LOVE AND NIALL HORAN

Chapter Forty Eight

Harry drove me to the airport the next morning. I'd said my goodbyes to everybody but Niall of course and I'd sat for an hour with a blank sheet of paper thinking about Harry's letter suggestion. Before I knew it, words were just coming to me. I wrote them down, hoping it was a good closure letter and without reading it over, handed it to Harry.

The snowstorm had cleared up and all flights would be ready to go. The airport was unsurprisingly empty, after all, it was Christmas. Everybody was at home with their families and soon, I'd be part of that everybody. Given that family is a subjective term.

"I can only go as far as this gate," Harry sounded apologetic as we reached the place where they'd do the first check of my ticket.

"I know," I replied simply, not knowing what else to say.

"So," Harry fished a single folded up paper out of his coat pocket. "When I suggested you write a letter to Niall, I might have suggested him to do the same for you."

My eyes widened. Wait, what? Before I could react, the airline lady was there, waiting for my ticket.

"Call me when you land?"

I nodded and Harry opened his arms up for a hug. I wrapped my arms around his neck, burrying my face into the crook between his neck and his ear. It was then I realized we didn't need to say goodbye because this wasn't goodbye. I'd see him again, soon and perhaps soon was also a subjective term but it didn't matter. We had plenty of time to meet again and when the timing was right, we would. Niall was not part of my friendship with Harry, he was not a variable in this equation. I didn't have to date Niall to know that Harry and I would always be friends. Harry passed me the paper and I put them in my pocket, not daring to look.

So before he could say the three letter B word that might indicate parting forever, I told him,

"I'll be seeing you."

Then, I turned around and handed the airline lady my ticket so I could catch my flight.

*

As soon I stepped out into JFK Airport, I felt a grin ease its way onto my face. I was home. The airport was decorated with Christmas decorations and a holiday tune was playing. There was gentle snow outside, covering the ground in a white Christmas. Pushing all thoughts of Niall to the back of my mind, I retrieved my luggage. The clock on the wall said it was 8:09 AM.

Harry had called Ben for me last night after calling Paul, telling him when I'd be at the airport. I'd said I could take a cab all the same, but both Harry and Ben insisted. But when I saw Ben and Avery standing there waiting for me, I was happy they'd insisted.

Avery was wearing a cute knit pink Christmas sweater with lights on it that actually lit up. She'd worn the same thing last Christmas, which is why it caught my attention.