Chapter Thirty Seven

LIVE LOVE AND NIALL HORAN

Chapter Thirty Seven

I stiffened as I watched my father walk across the room, saying his hellos and not even looking at me. Why should he? Disappointment was all over his face every time he looked at me. I felt Harry's hand on my shoulder. He obviously knew. Avery knew as well, but she was never good with family troubles. Hers had none.

"Teagan..." Harry's said in a low whisper by my ear.

I was frozen. Avery's hand was gripped on my shoulder tightly.

"C'mon," she said bravely, looping an arm through mine. "You'll show him up someday.

That, I doubted. 

"He's coming over!" Avery hissed, repeatedly jabbing me as if I didn't have eyes to see for myself. "Want me to do the distraction?" 

I bit my lip. "No, not this time. But thanks."

I needed Niall. But his grandmother needed him more and I had to suck it up and not get everything I wanted for once. However, if this was facing the music, I never wanted to hear the song again.

"I saw you on the cover of People magazine yesterday morning," my father said stiffly, adjusting his tie. He dark blonde hair was slicked back and he looked more intimidating than ever. "Quite... a photo, don't you think?"

I had no clue which photo he was talking about. Harry mouthed Niall's name at me. Oh. 

"I don't see why I've piqued your interest all of a sudden," I responded coolly, looking straight into his stormy dark eyes. A wrinkle in his forehead appeared as he raised his eyebrows.

"What happened to Nathaniel?" my father looked amused. "You jump from boy to boy rather quickly."

"Oh, like you jump from gold digger to gold digger?" I asked a little too innocently.

He smirked. "Have a good night, Teagan. I hope you've reconsidered Princeton or Yale."

With that, he took a flute of champagne off a tray and left.

"You'd think," Avery fumed. "He wouldn't try to dictate your life after not being around for any of it.

"Your dads intimidating," Harry said softly. 

"I'm done being intimidated," I shrugged. "He'll be no doubt, back for more. C'mon, I don't wanna stay here any longer. I'm gonna go say bye to Allie."

*

I smiled at the doorman as he opened the door for Harry and I. Avery had decided to stay with her sister, but I had enough of family time. 

"Let's head back to my place,' I yawned. "I'm getting tired."