Cinnamon and Dusk

Katniss' POV
2 years later...

The meadow smells like my mothers perfume. The beautiful bed of flowers where my father would bathe their petals in water and drain the liquid into a sweet smelling fragrance. The smile the gift could coax out of my mother warmed my heart. Their love made me feel safe. I used to think about how lucky they were to have found a love so deep, so undeniable. Never did I think I would get as lucky.

He smells like cinnamon and dusk. His lips taste sweet and warm. His touch is electric. No one has more power over me than he does. We are fire and rain. We are young and ancient. Dumb and wise. Beautiful and ugly. We are two pieces in a puzzle.
We are whole.

It is impossible to imagine an alternative universe, because my story will always end this way. Emotion is the most powerful thing in the world. It can change lives, inspire voices, it can change the world. Love is the most powerful emotion of all. It will always find you. It is inevitable.

I love him. I love him. There is no other way to describe something so strong, so powerful, so overwhelming. I am giddy at the strangest times. Hours seem to disappear. The idea of spending the rest of my life with him makes me the happiest I've ever been. When I wake up in his arms, I pray I will always wake this way. When we kiss, I pray his lips will be the last I taste.

Nothing has ever made so much sense. It doesn't matter where we are. It doesn't matter what is ahead of us. We will always have this, we will always have us. It's too late for us to be any other way. Peeta Mellark is a part of me and I am a part of him. That can never change now. I want to give him everything he wants in the world. There was a time, years ago, that Peeta would fetch me the moon if I asked him to, and I'd forget about it by the time he made it back to earth. But not anymore, he is the first thing I think of when I wake and the last thing I think of before I sleep.

And the meadow smells like my mothers perfume. Peeta is kneeled in front of me with a small box in his hand, it snaps open revealing the pearl, my pearl, fused onto a beautiful ring. My hand snaps over my mouth, involuntarily.

"Katniss Everdeen, will you marry me?"
I love him.
"Yes!"
I love him.