Chapter 1: My Brain Is An Asshole

Song: Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner by Fall Out Boy

-----------

The wind whipped through my hair, sending it over my face and a strand got caught in my mouth. I used the tip of my finger to push it back and tuck it behind my ear as I continued my trek across the street.

It was a cold, November night in Orlando. Rain previously drenched the busy roads, leaving it a bit slick. I pulled my coat tighter around me and stepped onto the sidewalk on the other side of the street.

It wasn't a great night at all.

For my eighteenth birthday, I thought it'd be a good idea to just disappear on my own for a while. I ditched my phone a few miles back in a dumpster behind a smelly bar. The whole idea was that I didn't want to be found. Not by my older brother, not by my parents, and not even by my best friend. It's sad that on my own birthday I didn't want to be found. Getting lost on purpose is basically hiding, right?

My day started off really well. My mom brought me breakfast in bed and then took me out shopping to pick out new clothes. But then I got home and just felt the sudden urge to disappear by myself.

That's how I ended up lost with no phone, soaked from the rain, and a horrible feeling in my stomach. Every place I've been to had said I couldn't use their phone unless I bought something. I guess I forgot to mention I lost my wallet too. That included my card and I.D. I have about fifteen dollars cash in my pocket. Definitely not a good night.

When the rain started to pour again, I took my chances and slipped into the first bar I spotted. The smell of stale cigarette smoke was the first thing that invaded my nose. I looked to my right and a girl that looked close to my age was setting up a table with band merchandise. To my left were two pool tables, occupied by a few younger and older guys.

Windows lined the wall and against the windows were small tables. Beside the pool tables was the bar. It was filled with people younger and older as well, sharing drinks, laughs, and conversation. Ahead of me the room expanded into another area.

There were younger people here more than anything. People close to my age, but I didn't recognize any of them. That's probably because I've been homeschooled since the seventh grade and my only friend is the girl I've known since I was in preschool.

I chewed the inside of my cheek and turned to face the girl setting up the band merchandise. "What band's are playing tonight?" I asked.

After she hung up a poster she turned to me and smiled. "There's four playing tonight. The first one is Start To Finish, With Service, Four Skeleton Prisoners, and the main band is Reset Space." Then she counted them on her fingers. "Yep, that's it."

I returned her smile. "Thank you. Is it too late to buy tickets?"

"Not at all!" She pointed to the podium across the room ahead where a guy was sitting, collecting tickets. "They're ten dollars and the first band should be on any minute."

I thanked her again and walked through the crowd of people to get to the podium. Since I didn't have my I.D., the guy slid an 'Under 21' bracelet around my wrist and sealed it. I guess it didn't matter anyway considering I'm eighteen. He gestured to the area behind him and I walked over. There was another bar on this side, but on the further wall was a small stage set up for the band that's about to play.

As I walked past people, I felt like they were giving me weird looks. Maybe because I'm alone or maybe because I looked like a sewer rat. I walked past the bar and into the open area close to the stage. There weren't many people around me so I moved to the side and stayed close to the wall.