Chapter 3: Losing Myself

Song: Losing Myself by State Champs

---------------------

The next day, the same routine followed.

Stacy was already there and had a bunch of pastries and breads all ready to go. Then all I had to do was make fresh cupcakes and get them in the case.

I had another one of my books open on the counter and at least got a few glances while I worked. My mom again had to be somewhere, but it didn't bother me. It gave me chance to actually breathe when she wasn't here.

By noon, I had red velvet, vanilla, chocolate, and snicker doodle cupcakes in the case. We've had a few people come in, but not many. Our busiest hours are usually between noon and two because of the lunch hours.

"Hey, Stacy," I started, "If you want to take a break, I can take over for a bit."

She sighed behind me. "Let me finish this order of muffins and then I will. I need a cup of coffee anyway. But I won't take a long one because a crowd will be rushing in any minute."

There were already two people here. Most likely a couple of college kids because they looked to be studying.

Then the bell rang above the door.

I didn't bother looking until I felt Stacy nudge my ribs. Benji was walking up to the counter, worn out Vans and all. He had a smile on his face as he stepped up to the counter. "Hey," He said.

"Hi," I replied and slightly smiled. "What are you craving?"

"Same as yesterday would be perfect."

I walked over to where Stacy was and grabbed a white glass plate before walking back to the case and pulling out a vanilla cupcake. Next I got his cup of coffee and slid both to him. He sat on the other side of the unoccupied stools and took a sip of his coffee first off.

"Let me know if you need anything else." I smiled again.

He nodded as I turned around. "And, Lucy?"

I stopped and turned back around. "Yeah?"

Benji pointed to his cheek. "It's either sugar or flour."

Oh, God. "Uh, thanks," I murmured and wiped at my now burning cheek. "Gone?"

He shook his head. "Almost."

I roughly ran the back of my hand over my cheek again and let out a frustrated sigh. "Now?"

Benji narrowed his eyes and looked at my cheek. "Good enough."

I walked back over to Stacy before I did something stupid like actually fall on my face.

* * *

Benji was on his third cupcake three and a half hours later.

Stacy had gone home already because it was slow and I told her I'd take care of everything else. Mom should be here soon anyway and having Benji here was still making me nervous. I'm not sure why he was still here three hours later. I didn't think the cupcakes were that damn good.

The thought of him staying for me was stupid.

Maybe not that stupid, because I want it to be true.