Eighteen

"So, what did you want to talk to us about, Rhaegos?" Fados asked, once they had safely returned the cow home.

"Atta and Mori have yet to return, I have to go and take care of a small errand, and Reina and Roythn have gone into hiding for the summer" Rhaegos replied solemnly, looking at the two young ones in front of him and waiting for a sign to continue.

"Your point is?" Fados asked, casually leaning against his dragons foreleg.

"You two are the most reliable in this situation, I'm leaving you in charge for a couple of weeks, just until one of the higher ranking dragons return" the gentle beast continued. Esmerelda chose that moment to sweep her leg out from underneath her rider, causing him to kiss the dirt.

"What?! Are you crazy?!" Fados screamed, once he'd shot up from the ground. He harmlessly punched his dragon in the snout, glaring her down.

"Your leaving a forty-three year old dragon, and a sixteen-and-a-half year old human, in charge?!" The young rider muttered loudly.

"When Atta returns she'll have your sister with her" Rhaegos muttered quietly, giving Fados a pointed look.

After their small conversation, Esmerelda and Fados agreed to take control until the real leaders could return.
They watched him fly off and they got to work.