Prologue

It was a dark night.

Adriana jumped off the window shed at the back of the house and landed on the backyard. The jump made no noise.

The darkness of the night remained dark. The silence could almost be heard, disturbed only by crickets and her breath.

Adriana Rosetty, crouched on the grass like a higher member of the cat family ready to pounce, straightened up now. She was a tall girl. The type with long legs and a long neck. She stretched a bit, looked around to check that no eyes were on her. Once sure, she proceeded to retrieve a blanket from behind the only tree there.

She put it out on the grass and sat on it. Her mother would ask questions if she saw dirt marks on her clothes. Once settled she looked up at the firmament. And smiled.

A perfect night, she thought.

Perfect it was indeed. A moonless cloudless night. A night of stars and a deep sky.

Night is when we see the universe the way it is. It is so unfair of the sun to hide all its fellow stars when it rises. It must be so jealous of them.
Like me.

A sigh escapes her lips and she shakes her head twice before refocusing on the stars.

I wish I had my iPod with me now.

Another sigh.
Adriana loved music, and loved singing even more. But if she had those buds on, she couldn't help but sing aloud herself. And hence, her nocturnal excursions were devoid of any tunes.

Just then a shooting star swirled across the stretched night sky. A tail of white light following it and prevailing for a few moments before fading into oblivion.

Most people would have kissed their hands and closed their eyes and wished for their desires to be fulfilled but not Adriana.

She thought it was plain stupid to close eyes and miss the beauty in the mystical light of the star. She thought it was stupid to wish for something and expect it to happen only because a meteoroid managed to get inside the earth's atmosphere and burn itself.

But still in the smallest and farthest nook of her mind there resonated a voice.

I wish for him to be mine and I wish I was his. It said.

Adriana herself was taken aback by this. It has been 2 months since she met him and since then her life has been a havoc, with multiple mood swings and roller-coaster rides.

Life is unfair, she reminded herself. 

And at that moment a single drop escaped the contours of her left eyes, ran down her cheeks and ended up in the grass filled backyard, mixing with elements at once. The only evidence that remained was a trail of wetness on her cheek.

But she was a fighter and it would take more than just a few drops of tears to extinguish the fierce fire raging inside her. the fire of hope, of love, that has the power of burning till infinity and maybe beyond.