Standing Alone.

When I get home from school, Dell is on the couch eating ice-cream and cookies. You can see the tears in her eyes about to spill and I stand in place, not sure what to do.

"Oh, you're home. Have you ever seen the movie Titanic?" At the end of her sentence, there's a crack in her voice.

Had I seen it? No, but I've heard about it being some love story where the guy dies in the end and meets her in heaven or a dream or something like that. It sounds awfully sappy.

"Nope," I reply simply, popping the"p". She gives me an insane look and looks back towards the television.

I obviously can tell she's not crying about the movie, but something with much more depth and story behind it.

I would ask and talk with her, but to be completely honest, her decision to allow Kurk to live here still bothers me. Basically, I'm holding a grudge.

Lamely, I walk behind her and the couch and head towards the stairs. After Ray comes home, I've decided that we're going to go to see Despicable Me 2. She saw the first on DVD, but I need to give her some time with just us, like it used to be. The two new members-guests- of the house aren't invited.

When did life have to get so difficult? I mean, if you think back to when you were young, life was easy as a hooker on Friday night. To be completely honest, I hardly remember having as much fun as other kids did in my childhood. My days are numbered, yet they don't give an estimation of how much longer I have to live life the way I want to.

With a sigh, I slip into my room and shut the door. On my bed, there's a single envelope. My name is handwritten on the front, with my address and everything. I want to open it, but I have time later.

On second thought, I don't.

After snatching the envelope off my bed, I sit on the edge and tear it open.

Dear Miss Frost,

We are sorry to inform you that your scholarship to Harvard University has been revoked. All questions and/or concerns can be addressed through mailing, email, or calling our offices. Thank you.

I read over the letter several times over and let the sheet of paper slip to the floor.

Revoked? What the hell is this?

"There's no way," I say aloud, my body growing paralyzed. "This has to be a mistake."

Although I never actually knew if I wanted to attend Harvard, or any school at that (considering that I need to keep my eye on Ray), this comes as a very hurtful surprise. I worked so hard to get my grades. They should know that.

With vexation, I bang my lamp shade with my arm and throw my letter into the trash. If they don't want me, fine. Doesn't matter anyway.

When a door from downstairs slams, a little voice yells and makes me flinch. "Pen! Pen! Pen, pen, pen, pen, pen—"

"Ray! Ray-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay. How was your day-ay-ay at school?" I say, trying my very best to mock cheeriness. After walking from my room and giving the letter one last glance, I rush down the stairs and engulf her in a hug.

Ray hugs back and jumps up and down. "I got my report card! Ms. Lisek said I've done a lot better!" She drops her bag on the floor and searches through it. I look over the edge of the bag and notice how unorganized it is. Mental note: Teach Rachael organization skills.

Ray's face lights up as she hands me a tan-ish orange envelope with a name tag/ identification sticker with the name Rachael Frost typed on the line with her grade and teacher.