Chapter 5

The next morning, I woke up and Matthew wasn't there.  I yawned and looked out the window that was right beside the bed.

"At least he was nice enough to let us sleep in." My cat muttered.

I realised it was a school day and wondered if I should go.  I went over to the door and tried to open it, but it was locked.  I guess that answers that.  I hiss with annoyance at how mean he is.

"Maybe we should kill ourselves." My cat said quietly.

"How can you say that?" I snapped, "We can change him, I know we can."

"I don't want to have to do that!" She wailed, "And I'd rather die than live like a prisoner to my own mate!"

I sat on the bed and started crying for like the hundredth time in the last couple of days.  I buried my face in my pillow.

"Catherine!" I heard Cheyenne trying to kind-link me, "Please answer!"

"Cheyenne!" I felt a little better when I could talk to my sister.

"Cat!" She exclaimed, "I've been trying to mind-link you since I went to school!"

"It's not my fault!" I defended myself, "It's rare when I can mind-link, remember?"

"Mom and dad are worried about you," She continued, "they want to do something about the alpha, but they're afraid what he might do to you."

"Tell them not to worry about me."

"Not to worry?  Just look what he did to-"

I could tell I lost the ability to mind-link when she broke off.  I sighed and looked around the room.  I saw a knife sticking out from under the bed and picked it up.  I knew I could use this to threaten Matthew, but I didn't want to.  I held it up to my wrist.

"Do it." I could hear in my cat's voice that she was barely keeping herself from crying, and I was too.

I lightly touched the knife to my skin as the door flew open.  I dropped the knife and turned to the door expecting to see Matthew, but it was Patrick.

"We need you!" He panted, "Something's happened to the alpha!"

"Why do you need me?" I snapped.

He looked at me, shocked, "He needs his mate, you might be the only person who can save him."

I sighed, "What happened to him?"

As I got off the bed and followed him, he explained everything that happened, "We were on a border patrol, and out of nowhere a wolf pounced out of the bushes and bit his neck.  I was about to attack it, but it ran away, and I barely got the alpha to the hospital in time.

I was still reluctant to go, but after all, he's my mate and my alpha.  A few minutes later, we were at the hospital.  It took us a few minutes to find his room, but when we did, I gasped at what I saw.  he was unconscious with his neck was ripped open and there were tubes attached to him keeping him alive.  The only thing telling me he was alive was his heart monitor.

"How did he survive that?" I breathed.

"He knew that his mate was still alive, so he had to stay alive." Patrick answered.

"Likely." I muttered sarcastically.

He looked at me, "He loves you, Catherine.  He just doesn't want to admit it."

I still wasn't convinced, but I sat beside the bed and put my hand on his arm as I looked down at him. As much as I was mad at him, I couldn't stand seeing my mate like this.