Chapter 13

What's he doing here?

Matthew looked at me, 'I told Patrick and a few warriors to find him.' he said through our mind-link.

"So, why am I here?" Ryan stared at Matthew, annoyed.

"So you can get what you deserve." Matthew growled and punched Ryan in the face, causing him to fall over.

"Matthew!" I squeaked, running over to him, "What are you doing?"

"Like I said," He growled, involuntarily, "giving him what he deserves."

I grabbed his arm before he could lean down to punch Ryan again and pulled him to another room.

He looked at me, "Don't you want payback?"

"No - well yes," I thought for a second, "but I don't want anyone getting hurt."

"He hurt you!" He snapped.

I flinched at his tone and, instinctively, moved back until my back was against the wall.  He came over to me and lightly grabbed my hands.

"I'm sorry." He murmured, "I'm just mad."

I was about to say something, but I was interrupted by a loud howl.  We raced to the living room to see Patrick lying on the ground in a small pool of blood.  Five wolves were surrounding him, and Ryan was in his human form standing over him.  Matthew immediately shifted and pounced at Ryan, tearing his throat out.

One of the wolves from Ryan's pack pounced on Matthew and bit down on his neck.  Matthew easily shook the wolf off and started fighting with it.  I saw a few wolves from our pack come and join the fight, including... Cheyenne?  Why would she be let out just to help in a small battle?

I just stood there.  Helplessly watching the fight.  Knowing that I would be no help in my cat form.

There were only four wolves - including Matthew - fighting from our pack, but we managed to win barely.  Two of the wolves from the other pack were dead, and the other three ran away.

I noticed Cheyenne was badly hurt, lying in a bigger pool of blood than Patrick was.  I ran over to her, hoping she was alright.

A few doctors came over to check on everyone and get Patrick to the hospital.  Once they got to Cheyenne, they took her straight to the hospital.  Matthew only had a few bites so he didn't need very much medical treatment.

Once he shifted back and got dressed, he came over to me as I watched them take my sister, "She'll be okay."

I suddenly got really angry, "Why was she in the battle?"

"I had to get her." He said apologetically, "we don't have very many warriors right now and she's our strongest."

He tried to put his arms around me but I pushed them off and started walking to the hospital.  He might have just gotten my sister killed!  I shut him out so he couldn't hear my thoughts while I went to go check on Cheyenne.

Once I walked in the main door of the hospital, a nurse took me to Cheyenne's room.  I quickly walked in the bright, white room and over by Cheyenne's head.  The nurse left quickly and I wondered why.

"I'm sorry." Cheyenne choked out, "I'm sorry for everything I did."

"Shhh." I said, "Save your energy."

"Didn't the nurse tell you?" I could barely hear her, "I'm dying."

I didn't want to believe her.  I was going to say something, but she interrupted me, "I didn't want to die knowing you hate me for what I did."

"I don't hate you." I said, tears forming in my eyes, "But you're going to be alright."

Her heart rate started slowing down.  I bent down and kissed her cheek, "I love you."

Just after I said those three words, I saw my sister die.