Chp 5

ALI

The bustle of the school surrounded me familiarly. I smiled. For the first time in 2 days, I felt like everything was going to be alright. It was a Monday, meaning it was going to be a new fresh start. Others complained that it was horrible, going through the cycle again, but I disagreed. I felt like it was a blank page again.

But that feeling didn't last long.

I saw Elena and Niall happily walking down the hall, with their hands interlocking. Psh. They were even wearing matching shirts. I sneered inside my head. But something stirred inside of me. Was it...jealousy? I couldn't control my heart. My heart started thumping like a elephant. Niall spotted me. His eyes widened and he dropped Elena's hand. He said a few words to her and she nodded and looked over at me. I looked into her eyes. There was definitely a sheet of sinister intentions behind those seemingly innocent eyes. I had seen them before. In Becca's eyes. I quickly stopped staring at them and turned away.

"Ali!" Niall's warm voice reached my ears.

"Yes?" I turned. My heart started racing. What did he want to talk to me about?

"Uh, I just wanted to tell you that me and Elena are dating."

"And why would you want to tell me that?" I snapped. Then, realizing the tone of my voice, I said, "Sorry, I just...."

"It's okay. I was just wondering, are you okay, you seemed sorta... troubled yesterday." He was worried about me! I smiled inside.

"I'm okay. I was just sort of sad because... because... my pet was sick." I lied.

"Oh! Is your pet okay, then?" He looked at me worriedly.

"Yeah, yeah..." The bell shook me out of my spell. "I-I guess I'll be going... You should say good-bye to Elena. She's your girlfriend, now, after all. I shouldn't be talking to you. She looks..." I looked behind him. Elena had a frown on her face and was waiting impatiently. I said a quick goodbye to Niall and walked with long strides to my first class, my face flushed red and my heart beating a 1000 beats per minute. Sarah caught up with me.

"I saw everything." She smiled evilly. "You like him, don'tcha, Ali?" I turned towards her.

"Fine! Fine, maybe I do. But I-I can't.... not after.... what happened. He doesn't remember, but I do. And it haunts me every time I see his smile. I just can't be with him. I could never try, either. I'm just confused, ya know?" She took my hand.

"I get you. Well, why don't you tell him?" she asked.

"I can't! He's got a girlfriend now."

"I doubt he even cares about her. Maybe he's just dating her to see your reaction. If you told him how you felt, he might feel the same."

"You really think that would work?" I cast a skeptical look at her.

"Maybe." she shrugged. "If you tell him, it'll be less complicated. And you might stop liking him."

I doubt that, I thought. But on the way outside, I smiled.

"I hope that'll work. But how do I tell him?"

"I don't know. Just.... go up to him and tell him? I heard he stays quite a while after school. Maybe you can tell him then." I considered it. Then I nodded. I could always try, right?

NIALL

I was standing alone, after school. Elena said she had to leave because of a dentist appointment, even though I thought she had perfect teeth. The slightly setting sun looked like a paintbrush swiped across the sky by a giant. I personally liked it like this, even though people thought it was weird. My peace was broken when Ali approached me. What did she have to say to me? I thought. I started to walk towards her. She looked down at her feet.