Chapter 19: Dr. Holly's Big Mouth

The Valentines Ball had been the talk of the school for quite some time afterward. It wasn't often that the students were scheduled to have such exciting events. While there were still murmurs of the Ball, 'did you see what she was wearing?!' 'Why on earth would he go with her?!', it was now time for the students to get their heads into their schoolwork. It was mid-February which meant that teachers were piling on course material. Exams were not far away after all.

For Mackenzie and the other members of the ALDC, the stress in the dance studio was also heating up. Abby was starting to think about who would be competing in what numbers at Nationals, which were to take place in April. The coming competitions would be like auditions for these dances.

Mackenzie was in Abby's good books these days. It was incredibly hard to know what kind of mood the daunting coach would be in but she had been much kinder to Mackenzie in general. Mackenzie could be pretty sure it was due to the help of 'Affectus Memoraie'. Ever since her All God's Creatures solo performance, she had been given a solo every week and placed first with each and every one of them. She was reminded of a time a couple of seasons ago when Maddie competed and won her solos every week. This must be what it felt like although, Mackenzie didn't feel chronically stressed all the time to stay on top of the pyramid. She knew if she put her best foot forward and was herself, it would just work, whereas Maddie was making herself crazy in order to try to get back on top.

Maddie was still paying for her actions towards her sister when March rolled around. Abby held grudges and this was a big mistake, even for her ex-golden child. She was told she would not be given a solo for a good long time and maybe not even for Nationals, to her extreme discontent. Abby let her be in the group dance in the second week of March but she was not the lead. That was Mackenzie.

Mackenzie had been really pleased to have an apology from her sister after her solo performance but was now beginning to sense renewed anger and resentment. The roles were completely reversed from what they had been for nearly the entirety of Dance Moms. Maddie had to sit by and watch the favouritism work in Mackenzie's favour. She had never had her accomplishments overlooked because her sister's accomplishments were more important. But then again, Mackenzie was more adept at feeling bad for Maddie. When the roles were reversed, the same could not be said. Now Maddie was getting to experience what being on Abby Lee Miller's Junior Elite Competition Team was like for anyone that, in the past, was not her. While Mackenzie felt empathetic towards her sister's newfound struggles, she also thought it would do her a  bit of good to have a true Dance Moms experience. 

The girls continued their hard work and pulled out a group win every weekend until the last competition in March when they placed second. They were back at the studio after the rocky competition, awaiting Abby's critique.

"Girls, what happened?" Abby questioned as she stood in front of the moms and the girls for debriefing. From her disgusted expression, Mackenzie would have thought her dance instructor had a very unpleasant spell under her nose. "We were on a group winning streak and now we pull second?! Second, are the first to lose!" The girls hung their heads and looked ashamed of themselves. "Mackenzie! You placed first on your solo, Financial District. You gave an incredible performance with loads of energy. What I'm getting from these results is that these girls are dragging you down." Mackenzie looked at the floor. She could now also feel the embarrassment of an accomplishment because she knew it was impacting her friends. Did Maddie feel this way too when it was her? She couldn't help but sympathize with her, although she wasn't sure that this was something Maddie would feel embarrassed about.

"Kendall! I gave you a beautiful lyrical piece, something your mom would call a 'Maddie Dance'. She's always complaining that you get given jazz and that your strong suit is lyrical. I switched yours and Mackenzies pieces, giving her the jazz one and she beat you by a mile! You weren't even in the top five." Mackenzie looked over at Jill who was trying with great difficulty not to explode on Abby. Sometimes Mackenzie wondered to herself if it wasn't Jill who wanted to dance. Kendall was always being ragged on and didn't seem to have much of an interest in dancing anyway. The term "living vicariously through your children" came to mind when it came to Jill.