Chapter 21: Nationals

Dance Now National Competiton, London England UK
April 9, 2016: Solo Competition Day - 10:07 a.m. 

Her heart was pounding. Mackenzie Ziegler found herself hidden behind the black, floor-to-ceiling, velvet curtains that comprised the wings framing the stage on which she was about to perform. The ALDC Junior Elite Competition Team was performing at Dance Now UK Nationals in London. The venue was a gorgeous old-timey theatre. It was one of the most antique and yet awe-inspiring theatres they had competed at to date. 

How had the moment that Mackenzie would take the stage for Nationals come so quickly? Her breathing was shallow and she was beginning to sweat. She also had the increasing feeling that she had to pee but shook it off as nerves. This happened frequently.

The real reason for her nerves was the ultimatum. If she could attain just one more clean sweep, all the stress and hardship that being a member of the Junior Elite Competition had caused her would dissipate. She could finally delve into the world that she was longing to be completely absorbed in. Of course, she would always be a dancer. That kind of passion and training wouldn't just evaporate. But she had no interest in being the kind of dancer that was knit-picked so intensively it started to have an impact on her mental health. Maybe it already had? It was too much. On the other hand, this team was her family, and her family was on this team. She couldn't just walk out in a huff or else she wouldn't have Hogwarts or her family. It had to be done strategically.

Kenzie's stomach dropped as she thought about her sister. She was on stage at that very moment. She was performing her solo, Someone Special. Maddie had performed this solo at Nationals last year and had placed second to Ava. This was not the ideal outcome for Abby or Maddie. Abby Lee Miller hated second and would punish her second place dancers extensively. She made Maddie perform this solo exactly one year later, promising her the favouritism would not continue if she placed second again. This had put Maddie on edge and therefore, the relationship between the sisters had been strained.

The week leading up to the competition, in which they had travelled all the way to London to perform, had been a rough one. Mackenzie felt more confident than ever in her dancing but had a looming feeling that if she lost on the weekend, she would end up more unhappy than she had ever done. The incident with Maddie in the Room of Requirement hadn't helped. Mackenzie had gotten no backlash from her mother or Abby, surprisingly enough. In fact, they were very pleased she had found a place in which to concentrate and rehearse on her own and felt this was the reason she was improving so rapidly. Maddie, as she had expected was not pleased about this secret dance studio and Mackenzie had suffered for that. They hadn't spoken to one another since the fight over the Room, unless absolutely necessary. No one except Maddie seemed to care once the news got out to the team. Mackenzie hadn't wanted to tell her sister because she knew there would be an uproar. The girls almost seemed to be on Mackenzie's side too. She supposed they were sick of living in Maddie's shadow as well.

______________________________________________________

Dance Now National Competiton, London England UK
April 9, 2016: Solo Competition Day -7:30 a.m.

Mackenzie was to perform her solo before the group. In fact, all the girls were preparing for the solo category. This was a special year with the ALDC. Usually, Abby would have a week prior to Nationals where she would assign everyone a solo to see who she wanted to represent her team. This year she had chosen to give everyone a solo at Nationals. This was done with stern, warning words from Abby that they had better be on their A game.

"Girls! You are extremely privileged to be allowed to perform a solo each at Nationals. I would normally never do this but I want to put you to the test." Abby gave them this speech as they were arriving at the venue, Saturday morning. "You have all been given pieces of choreography that suit you and challenge you. They are all very intricate pieces and I want you to turn your brains on. Now!" She directed this last bark at Kendall who was lost in the digital abyss of her iPhone. "Let's focus on the solos and we'll worry about the group dance later, as it will not be performed until tomorrow. Hair and makeup girls!" She exited the room, allowing the girls to breathe.