Chapter 22: It's My Time To Shine, Will You Let Me?

"And now, we will move on to the Junior solo category!" The announcer's voice was amplified through the microphone for the dancers on stage and the coaches, family, and friends in the audience.

"In fifth place, we have Kendall with In The News!" Kendall scurried forward to get the plaque. 

"In fourth place, is Augusta Pepperhorn with Endangered Species!" A girl that they didn't know but had been eyeing them up and down backstage made for the front of the stage and collected her plaque as well. 

"Third place is Jojo, with Fierce!" There was a roar of cheering from the girls as Jojo was handed a trophy.

Maddie, Nia and Mackenzie sat in the ALDC cluster at the front edge of the stage. Nia had a first-place teen trophy in her lap and looked very happy. Mackenzie and Maddie, however, were holding tightly to one another's hands both thinking, "It's me or my sister".

"Our second place winner..." They grasped tighter and listened with all their might. "...is...", Mackenzie could see the moms and Abby, their row of seats in the audience was well lit and they were clutching their programs like they were floatation devices. "Maddie with Someone Special!" Despite the fact that all the ALDC girls and moms knew Maddie would not be completely happy with this news, it was customary to break out in very loud, energetic cheers.

While Mackenzie was cheering, many thoughts ran through her head. "If Maddie got second how could I possibly have gotten first?" she asked herself. There must be a really good girl that we didn't know about that swooped in. She had felt this way when her acro solo had beat Maddie's tap solo in Season 5 like she hadn't even placed. Her performance had been so genuine though, how could she fail? She couldn't help but second guess herself.

"I think you won, Kenz!" Nia grabbed both of Mackenzie's hands and shook them with jubilation. All she could do was smile in return, as it wasn't yet confirmed.

"And now, the highest solo mark of the competition and Junior Miss UK Dance title winner is..." He seemed to be speaking so slowly. She wanted to point a TV remote at him and fast forward. "Mackenzie Ziegler with Veins!"

She had done it. Not only had she gotten first in her category, but she also had the highest solo mark AND won a title! If that wasn't the clean sweep her mother wanted, she didn't know what was!

All of her friends, even Maddie, crowded her and hugged her. She was incredibly proud of herself. She had won a crown and two trophies, one of them six feet tall! But more than that, she had proven to Abby, Maddie, and her mom that she was capable. This would mean she could negotiate with Melissa. Hogwarts wasn't off the table and for this she was very happy.

The girls were greeted by cheers from the moms when they arrived back in the dressing room. Abby and Gia waltzed in as well and began congratulating the girls. Abby reached Maddie and hugged her.

"Maddie, I hope you've learned a lesson. You knew that it's hard to stay at the top, but I'm hoping you also now know that a lack of compassion and a helping hand can hinder you as well?" Maddie nodded and Mackenzie was surprised to see how calm and collected both Maddie and Abby were. "Ok, my dear. We will get you back on your feet, don't worry. Just don't forget this lesson." She moved on to talk to the other girls.

As Mackenzie began removing her earrings and headband she heard Abby begin to rag on Kendall. "You know, if you keep messing up the prop, Kendall, I am going to keep giving it to you. If you want a career, you need to be able to handle it. I keep giving them to you because you can't handle it!" Jill opened her mouth to fire a retort at Abby but she headed her off. "No, Jill! Kendall will be in the teen division next year, you have to stop speaking for her. You don't want a prop? Tell your kid not to drop it! If she can do that, then we will talk." Jill shut her mouth and Abby walked away.

"Mackenzie!" A smile bloomed on her previously grimacing face. "This is your biggest win ever!" She hugged her tightly. "You should be incredibly proud! And so should you, Melissa!"

Melissa looked up at Abby. "I am."

"Good. Then show it. Don't look so sour." Abby shot back at her. 

"I don't look sour." she retorted.

"You do. I know that Maddie didn't win but your other daughter did. She won everything actually! And she was fantastic so get that look off your face."

"I am proud! I am!" She turned to Kenzie and also pulled her into a hug. "But I know she doesn't want to dance anymore and that breaks my heart." Melissa had a tendency to make issues like this all about her.

"No mom, it's not that I don't want to dance!" She could hear everyone else in the room go silent, frozen in place to eavesdrop on the conversation, not an uncommon thing with this group. "I just don't want to dance at this level anymore. I love dancing. But I also love Hogwarts and I am doing really well there. I am at the top of my year in every class, I have incredible friends and what's more, I love my studies. I'm sorry, but I can't say that about muggle school. I want to dance but it's been too hard to be 'just like Maddie' or 'Maddie's sister' all the time. It's my time to shine. Will you let me?"