Chapter 5: Powerless (Part 1)

I remember the first time I wrote this chapter about a two and a half years ago, it took me forever and I was never proud of the results; finally, after a while, I came up with this and I couldn't be happier. Enjoy!

Picture: Michelle Trachtenberg as Hayden Brooks

Song: If Everyone Cared by Nickleback

Chapter 5: Powerless                                                              

          Night Walker Code 026- Magic is tolerable as long as nature remains balanced 

Tanner

            He had gotten lucky that Maria hadn’t completely broken his alarm clock, because the slight buzz that it was still making after she had left was enough to wake him back up. It was close to five in the afternoon, and school was starting very, very soon. He didn’t have time for a shower, so he rushed to put on his uniform that was lying on the ground and then he hurried out of his room, not even bothering to check his hair. Did he even lock the door? He decided to check later, after first period. Besides, if he came back and his stuff was missing, well then he’d have his answer. 

            His head was spinning and he knew that he really needed to drink some blood, and soon. Staying up so late last night really had an effect on him. Maybe he would skip his first period and go to sleep instead, he considered. It sounded like plan, a very good plan.

            He was on his way to the cafeteria; and he had now made up his mind. His official plan was to skip breakfast and simply take his blood bag, maybe steal another one, and then head back to his room and sleep like there was no tomorrow. But all of his planning was quickly ruined when he saw her. Hayden. She was literally coming his way—probably to talk to him—, but Tanner also saw Maria getting awfully close behind the girl. He had no choice but to pin Hayden against the lockers, so that Maria would back off and think that he was “taking care” of the Night Walker. Sometimes it was like he could read his sister’s mind. Couldn’t twins do that?

            When Hayden let out a cry, Tanner realized that he might have pinned her a little harder than intended; well at least the whole thing looked real, and the Night Walker did deserve it after making Maria and him stay up so late.

            “Why didn’t you show up last night?” He asked her impulsively. He’d said it low enough, so that he was sure that she was the only one who’d heard him. He was of course well aware of all the vampires gathering around them, so he was careful not to speak too loudly. 

            “I was going to talk to you about that.” Hayden replied, clearly still trying to seem superior to him; it was annoying to no end. “Let me go and we can discuss about it outside.” It seemed reasonable, but he still hesitated. In the end of course he had to let her go. The crowd let out mumbles of disappointment, before slowly dissipating.    

             Tanner followed Hayden outside in a rush, before the teachers could arrive to start questioning them. They’d probably be sent home, but lucky for them the letter had clearly said any vampire caught fighting or caught provoking one, without any serious reason, will be expelled from the school immediately. And they hadn’t gotten caught, so in the end the school board couldn’t really do anything. Tanner resisted the urge to start laughing out loud. 

            Finally when they were alone on the side of the school building, to Tanner’s surprise, Hayden took off her sunglasses. He caught his breath; her eyes were glowing a ridiculously bright green colour.