~ Chapter 17 ~

"M-mr. Styles?" I stutter out. What was he doing at this girl's house? And why was he wearing a tuxedo? It has a little white flower on it, too.  

I recognize his Range Rover from when he drove me home. When did he even get here? I guess I was too busy crying to notice. 

He walks closer to me and holds out his hands.  

"C'mon," he encourages and I slowly lift my hands in his. He pulls me up and we walk to his car. I'm not sure where we're going but I didn't care. As long as I was with him I was alright. 

He opens the door for me and buckles my seatbelt in. Once he's situated, I start asking him tons of questions. 

"Why were you over here?" 

"Why are you wearing that suit?" 

"Where are we going?" 

He holds out a hand. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. I'll explain everything, alright?"  

I sniffle and nod. He quickly glances over at me while starting the car engine. 

"Okay. So, I was in the hallway one day, and I overheard these girls talking. They were juniors. They were talking about how Tanner had asked you to homecoming and how it was all some big joke, but you didn't know. I was going to tell you a few days ago, but I just... couldn't. You looked so excited and happy that you were going with him and I didn't want to break your heart. I know that you probably got humiliated in front of the juniors, just now, and I should've told you ahead of time! I'm really sorry, Gabriella," he says. I feel a tear roll down my cheek. That's why he seemed so upset when he asked me about Tanner! 

"Please don't cry, Gabriella. He's not worth it, love," Mr. Styles says softly, and starts rubbing my knee. I quickly wipe my tears and suck it up. 

"You still never said why you're wearing that tux," I say, giggling slightly. He smiles and looks down at his attire. 

"Oh, right. You see, I knew you would be upset after he... didn't go with you, so I planned everything out. I also heard the girls talking about how everyone was going to this girl's house for pictures and it all would go down there. I got her address and I wanted to do something for you. So, I decided to pick you up and we could have our own homecoming," Mr. Styles says. My heart literally feels like its going to burst with happiness. Mr. Styles is going to be my substitute homecoming date.  

"Mr. Styles, that's so nice, I-I- thank you," I manage to get out and he smiles at me.  

He pulls the car into an apartment parking lot. I assume we were at his place? 

He parks the car and opens my door for me. He holds out his arm for me to hold and I take it shyly.  

This was probably really weird for a teacher and student to do.  

But I was fine with it. More than fine with it.  

Soon, we're standing in front of an apartment door. Number 302. Mr. Styles reaches into his pockets and takes out his key. He opens the door. 

"After you," he says and I walk in. His apartment was really nice and big. Everything was modern and cool.  

I notice a small table set up in the back. It has a single rose in a vase at the center along with some lit candles and two chairs. 

"What's that for?" I ask, pointing to the table. Mr. Styles locks the door behind me and looks to where I'm pointing. A small grin appears on his face. 

"Oh, that's for dinner," he says and walks over to his refrigerator. I awkwardly follow, not knowing what else to do.  

He takes out a small plastic box and opens it up. A white corsage, matching his, is inside. Mr. Styles gently removes it from its box and I hold out my wrist. Wordlessly, he wraps it around and pins it.