Chapter Thirteen

Ellis' car was still parked which means someone picked him up. I quickly jumped into my Jeep and drove. It took a while with all the red lights and I managed to miss all the green lights and then there were stop signs almost every turn. I had to go through town, which had even more lights and stop signs. With time and patience, I got there and parked somewhere I couldn't tell. I was pretty much on autopilot when I got out of my Jeep.

No one spoke to me or tried to stop me when I walked in. I took the stairs to the second floor. I remembered the number Alex told me and found the room, but I didn't have a key to get in. Crap!

Maybe I could pick the lock, but the long was side was and long and not in the shape to pick it with a bobby pin. So much for solving the mystery. I could cry and plead until someone got me a key but they'd probably think I was drunk or something. Just when I started to turn around and head back home, I saw a woman rolling a cart down the hallway and knew she would get me in the room. Now, it's time to work my magic. Whatever that was.

I approached her before she made it down the hallway. "Excuse me. I accidentally left my key in my room and it's been a long night. I'm too tired to go to the front desk. Could you open the door for me?"

She was quiet and I was certain she didn't buy the lie, but then she went back to the cart and took the key card and swiped it in the latch. The tiny light turned green and a clicking noise and the door was unlocked.

"Thank you so much."

She smiled and walked away.

I slipped into the room as quiet as a mouse and closed the door behind me without so much as making a sound. I didn't call out his name, because that would've given me away too easily. There was a living room connected to a kitchen and a hallway. There were two doors and one of them was open and it turned out to be the bathroom. Which only left one more. I approached it slowly and pressed my ear to the door to see if someone was on the other side.

"I can't do this anymore." A muffled voice said on the other side. I replayed the voice in my mind and noticed it as Ellis, but he was talking to someone.

"You can't say that after what we just did." Said the other voice and I immediately identified it as Kaya's. "The damage is already done."

"You're right. I'm married."

"Are we really having this discussion again?" Again? Which means there were more occurrences than one. I slapped my hand to my mouth to keep the sound of my cry quiet.

"Yes, I love her." If he loved me then he would've stayed away from her. Could she been who he was seeing all those times he disappeared and showed up at home with gifts?

"You wouldn't even know her if it wasn't for me." Kaya argued. "How else was I supposed to get you to get over me?" I didn't even know Kaya and Ellis had a thing before I married him.

"Fuck you, Kaya. She's way better than you."

"Then why the fuck did you keep coming back? You were all over me at the wedding."

I felt bile rise in my throat. They fooled around on our wedding day? I swiped angrily at the tears falling from my eyes. I couldn't stop them. Why was I torturing myself by listening to anymore of this? I knew if I asked for the truth, I wouldn't get it. "If I remember correctly, you were on your knees."

"And you didn't stop me. You're sleazy, Ellis. Just like old times. I don't even know why you married her."

"Me either, she's too good for me. But I married her anyway and so far I've done a bad job with being a faithful husband. I have to go. Where's my phone?"

"It wouldn't stop buzzing a while ago so I cut it off."

"What the fuck, Kaya?" I heard movements and decided I needed to go, but I couldn't move. I was frozen. "You and I are done, Kaya. I'm leaving. Don't call me and don't call Melinda ever again."

Kaya snorted. "Whatever."

I didn't even try to move when the door swung open and Ellis' eyes bulged out of its sockets. "Melinda, how long have you—where'd you—how?"

I shook my head. "No."

He caught my wrist when I turned to leave. "Melinda, please let me explain."

"No!" I fought his hold on my wrist. "Don't fucking touch me!"

"Melinda, listen to me. I love you. I wouldn't hurt you."

"Did you sleep with her?" He didn't answer so I punched him in the chest. "Did you fuck her before I got here?" I already knew the answer to that because Kaya was in bed naked with the sheets barely covering her goods. "You're going to stay away from me."

"No, I need you to let me fix this."

"The damage is already fucking done." I said and turned away.

"Melinda." He made a grab at me again, but this time I turned with my fist ready to strike. He anticipated this and caught my fist before it connected.

"Don't. Touch. Me." I hissed.

"You should probably listen to her." Kaya said from the bed. She hadn't made a move since I busted them and she looked comfortable.

I started to say something to her, but all that came up was a cry. Ellis looked at me sympathetically. "Baby, please believe me. I didn't mean to—"

I yanked my arm from his grip, catching him off guard, and ran.