Chapter Eight

Avi stared angrily at the bear's haunches as it ran into the forest. Kirstie was whimpering in his arms.

"Are you okay?" He asked her.

"I'm okay.." Kirstie sniffled.

"Are you sure?" Avi began inspecting her.

"I'm fine, Avi." Kirstie half laughed-half cried. Avi had just pelted the bear with several large rocks after it had cornered Kirstie inside a tree's large cave of roots.

"I'm sorry." She sighed a couple minutes later. "For running."

"I'm just so glad you're okay." Avi hugged the girl tight.

"Thank you for saving my life." Kirstie smiled, feeling safe in the man's arms.

Kirstie collapsed onto the bed in the cabin, happy to be back in a safe structure. Avi made barbeque for dinner which made the two of them very happy.

*One day later* It was late at night, about 12:30, and Kirstie was laying on the couch in front of the fire, deep in thought. Thinking about anything and everything. Her eyes flickered over to Avi who was cleaning up a glass he broke around five minutes ago. Suddenly a horrible thought plunged into Kirstie's mind, making her breath catch in her throat.

I have to leave in three weeks.

Kirstie lay there, desperately trying to think of a way that she could stay in London. She couldn't leave.

She sat up, wiping a tear from her eye and walked back to the bedroom. She sat on the bed and a couple minutes later Avi came in. Kirstie tried to hide the few tears that were pooling up in her eyes but Avi had already noticed.

"Kirstie?" He said as Kirstie stood up. "What's wrong darling?" He walked over and hugged her.

"I.. I don't want to leave." Kirstie said, sitting down on the floor against the wall. Avi joined her on the floor. The two sat in silence for awhile, Kirstie trying to gather her strength. It wasn't working though, just getting worse.

"I- I don't want to leave London.." Kirstie whimpered. "I don't want to leave y-you.." She sniffed. Avi's heart melted and he wrapped an arm around the girl's shoulder's, pulling her closer.

"And I don't want you to go." Avi said, trying to keep his voice from wavering. Five minutes of silence passed when Kirstie mustered the words, staring into Avi's eyes with a tearstained face.

"I love you." She whispered.

Avi did not dare blink in fear of a tear escaping. "I love you too." He choked out the words before the two hugged tightly, Avi hiding his tears behind the girl's back. Avi held her for awhile there on the floor. Kirstie opened her eyes when she heard the man begin to sing with his low beautiful voice.

...There's a light in the hallway, so you know I'm here,

so count your blessings every day,

it makes the monsters go away,

and everything will be okaayy.. Avi's voice cracked.

You are not alone.. you are right at home..

Avi finished the song.

"What's that song? It's beautiful." Kirstie looked up at him.

"I wrote it. It's called Light in the Hallway."

"I love it." Kirstie said quietly, closing her eyes. Avi leaned his head back against the wall and the two fell asleep together, Kirstie in Avi's arms with her head on his chest.