I

It was another painstakingly long night constantly watching the clock eagerly awaiting his return. I knew the right things to say that would calm him down once he eventually walked through the door it was the same process every time.

I couldn't do this for much longer I loved him, I truly did and I hope when this all comes a halt he realises I never meant no harm. I created a life for myself here, so magical. One I could have never got elsewhere but I knew what I was accepting when I came to work.

"It's just a job, Misty" I kept saying to myself over and over with the hopes that maybe at some point I'll disconnect myself from the reality I've created, and with that thought the man himself comes through the door. That same sorry look plastered over his face, his now slightly rugged red hair illuminating the hallway as it always does. Those eyes well what can I say, they are truly memorising no matter what you're feeling looking into his eyes can clear away that pain.

Michael was toxic. Toxic is precisely the correct word, but I was the exception. Why? Why is he so good to me but so venomous to others?
That's because he's just like me, maybe he knows my secret, maybe my face speaks a thousand words, maybe I've been a terrible liar this whole time. My life is saturated with maybes.

Me and Michael, we get along because we are the same just he doesn't know it.

That sorry look has gone only to be replaced with a twisted gaze. His eyes casting a spine chilling stare amongst me.

Over time I became to know him very well, the ins and outs of his day, the things he loves and the things he truly detests. I know him too well and I know drunken Michael even better this wasn't him. I've studied him. He looked so devoid colour. Pale and angry.

This isn't a Michael I've experienced, in our three years of being 'together' if you could even call it that. A thousand thoughts flooding through my mind.

I'm still safety secured on my step on the stair case not moving an inch. The cold air breezing from the window left open upstairs causing my hair to fall slightly becoming draped over my eye. Slowly moving my hand to remove the hair and safety tuck it back behind my ear without loosing the newly and confusing gaze between me and Michael. His twisted eyes staring deeper and deeper into mine. He was truly evil and I hated it. Why couldn't he be a good person, why couldn't we both just be normal?

Slowly and steadily he made his way towards me. Each step causing a creak on the flooring that we promised each other we would change. He gaze still not leaving myself. I was scared constantly but this was a different scared I've never as such been scared of Michael but tonight somethings changed. All It took was twelve steps until he was standing at the bottom of the stairs looking up at me another three and he was standing directly below me.

Calmly he spoke, his voice enchanting the hallway with his accent. It wasn't as strong as it used to be when we first met but it was still authentic Australian. "Why did you apologise on the phone?" That's what made me think why did I say sorry? We had an argument at work and I though he stayed at work and wasn't out getting drunk.

Without using any words my face can do all the talking for me through expressions purely shrugging my shoulders. With that he lent in and whispered "you don't need to be sorry" before placing a small kiss on my cheek and continuing up the stairs before slowly closing the door that led to our bedroom, the place where I certainly won't be sleeping tonight.

Without Michael clouding up my headspace I had other problems which goes by the name of Tom, Tom Keen. Let's call him my 'boss' he's eager for new information. New information on Michael.

Michael is very good at keeping his life a secret he thinks I don't know but oh was he wrong. He's an informant, a criminal informant for the FBI. From ages 16 to 22 he managed to bag himself the title of 'fugitive at large' and now magically he hands Himself in saying that he will help the FBI find some of the most wanted criminals that are so good they aren't even on the federal agents database. So concealed and disguised no one knows who they were until Michael offered the information on a plate as if he was doing them a favour. All of this just for immunity?

Tom knew there was something wrong so I became superimposed into his life. Tom is concerned about his own assignment, Michael is a liability and needs to be gone but how can I let him be executed. It's been 3 years too long I love him.

I was only meant to be working with Michael for a few weeks that was the initial plan, but when you love someone you can't leave them right?

I wish I had a normal job, I was I wasn't a spy and I wish I wasn't going to have to break Michael when I eventually leave, I wish I wasn't having to risk my life every time I step out of the front door.

The last thing I remember before collapsing into a profound sleep was Tom's voice flowing through the my voicemail "misty it's nearly finished, call me in the morning when he leaves"

Is my time with Michael finished?