Chapter Three

Ally's P.O.V.

I sent Austin a text, since he probably wouldn't answer my calls. Then again, he could just delete my texts. Oh well. It was worth a shot.

Because Dallas pretty much just blew me off, I was open on the day of the gala and I could play for Austin, but he doesn't know that. I sighed and sent him another text. Most likely my eightieth text in the past hour.

When I didn't get a reply from him after waiting for half an hour, I decided to look for him. I didn't feel like sitting around when I could do something about this.

I dialed Mimi's number. "Hello?" I asked. 

Mimi's ever-cheerful voice answered. "Oh, hello! Is that you, Ally?"

"Yeah. I was wondering if you knew where Austin was?" I hoped she knew the answer.

"Oh! Yes. In fact, he's at home with me right now! Do you want to speak with him?"

"No, no it's okay. I can just come over. Can I?" I said quickly.

"Of course, sweetie! Come over whenever you like." 

"Thanks, Mrs. Moon. Bye!" I hung up and before she could say bye back.

With luck, Austin would still let me play for him.

Austin's P.O.V.

My mom hung up her phone and walked over to me. 

"Mom?" I asked curiously. "Who was that?"

She smiled. "Ally! She's coming over in a few minutes."

I shook my head wildly. "No! You don't understand. She can't come over."

My mom looked at me strangely. "Why? You two are best friends."

I decided to tell her. If I want someone to know, then it's going to be my mom. "Well, I got invited to the music awards gala."

"Sweetie, that's great!" My mom gave me a hug. "But why is that so bad?"

"Ally was supposed to be my pianist-"

My mom's forehead crinkled. "Was? So she isn't anymore?"

"See, that's the problem. Well, part of it. I was going to ask Ally out that day, but since we both couldn't make it, I thought I would invite her to the afterparty, because I get to bring one person. But she told me she couldn't make it right after she said she would! Now I don't know if I should be mad at her or give her a chance to explain." I put my head in my hands.

"If you really care about Ally like you say you do, then the best choice is to talk to her. You never know, maybe she still likes you too."

I nodded. "Yeah. Thanks, Mom. I think I will."

She kissed my forehead. "Go for it, then."

I gave her a hug. "Thanks again, Mom. I'm gonna give it a try."

The entire time, neither of us heard the door opening.

Ally's P.O.V.

What? Austin still liked me? I hadn't planned on eavesdropping, but when Mr. Moon let me in, Austin and his mom were talking, so I decided to leave, but then he said something about me, and it just happened. I didn't mean to spy. As soon as I realized what I was doing, I left. But Austin's words rang around in my mind.

He was going to ask me out! And what did I do? I acted like a complete jerk. Austin was being the nicest person possible, and I basically rejected him. I was so so so so stupid. Even stupider than agreeing to go on a date with Dallas when I already had plans.

I heard someone coming near me. "Ally?" asked a voice that sounded like Austin's.

"What?" I said, not in the mood to talk.

"I just wanted to say...I found another pianist so you don't have to worry about not being there."

My mouth dropped. I hadn't expected that. Now I lost both events. I was completely alone on Valentine's Day.

I gave him a weak smile. "Oh, okay. Thanks for understanding."

He grinned at me. "No prob. Well, see you later?"

I could barely manage a nod. "Yeah. Uh, bye."

I got up and left before he replied. My life seemed to be made up of nice people and me being mean to them.

I could hear Austin walking behind me. "Ally, wait!"

But I ignored him.